Adfs and plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, we are moving and I will not be able to bring my aquarium. So, I will be upgrading to a 50 gallon once we move. I really love the African dwarf frogs, but I really want a pleco too. I have experience with adfs I adore them. So, I have heard that it is not a good idea, but also heard that you can. So, what do I do? And I will be getting a smaller species: bristle nose, rubber lip or pit bull so, please do not post I do not have enough room.

In a 50 gallon tank a handful of these frogs would prob be the most active tank ever

I don't see why 1-2 smaller plecos wouldn't coexist
Such as
Rubber lip
Bristle nose
Pit bull
Clown
And honestly you might get away with a few med. sided ones two but the big guys will eat em

Thank you! I thought that made more sense. Yeah I am really going for a really cool tank.

I've read it can be hit or miss; there have been reports of plecos attacking the frogs. You could try it but keep an eye on things. I'd be more concerned with the depth of the tank as frogs are nearly blind and not the best swimmers and need to come up for air, so a 55 would be too deep for them IMO. Plus you'd need to target feed them. If you really like the frogs it might be a better/safer idea to set up a 10 gal tank just for a group of 3 of them.

I've read it can be hit or miss; there have been reports of plecos attacking the frogs. You could try it but keep an eye on things. I'd be more concerned with the depth of the tank as frogs are nearly blind and not the best swimmers and need to come up for air, so a 55 would be too deep for them IMO. Plus you'd need to target feed them. If you really like the frogs it might be a better/safer idea to set up a 10 gal tank just for a group of 3 of them.

Frogs are fine in water up to 2 feet deep. Also sometimes frogs will do fine in a community with sinking frig pellets.

As long as you are going to have bigger fish what about African Clawed Frogs? I've had them co-exist with fish before and they are wonderful pets. They make noises when they are breeding. Its easy to get them to breed and easy to sex them actually, but they will eat their own eggs. Then you may not have the too deep of a tank issue.

I am planning on getting a rubber lip pleco and I have heard they are nicer to the frogs.

As long as you are going to have bigger fish what about African Clawed Frogs? I've had them co-exist with fish before and they are wonderful pets. They make noises when they are breeding. Its easy to get them to breed and easy to sex them actually, but they will eat their own eggs. Then you may not have the too deep of a tank issue.

I like those too but I am planning on getting small fish that could fit in their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom