Adjusting water level in the side over flows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I recently shut down my 50 gallon brackish tank with figure 8 puffers, and acquired a new tank from a friend.
My new tank is a 160 gallon bow front with bio ball sump in the bottom and and external pump.
The left and right corners each have a 3/4" and a 1" hole. The return on the over flow drain into the top of the bio ball tank.
The external pump has a "T" out of PVC to supply water on both side of the tank. There is a valve just past the pump as well as a valve for the lines on the left and right side.
I understand that slightly adjusting the valves will increase/decrease the level in the bulkheads. When I turn the pump on the right side will fill up half way and stop just below the top of the filter floss (which is correct) it the opposite side fills right up to the edge of the tan
If I fiddle around with the left side to drop the water level down, I can't manage to get it lower then an inch and a half over the filter, so it is just sucking unfiltered water through the top of the tube.
Also, when I get as low as I can on the left side, the ride side completely drops down to about 1.5". Everything was working on the tank when it was at my friends house, unfortunately he is no longer in the country and I would be able to contact him for a while.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I already have my sand, rock and a couple fake plants in and would like to cycle it so I can put in some cichlids. Thanks againImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407013122.936762.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom