Adult males with juvenile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
This might not be the right forum, but you guys may know.

I have a fancy guppy female that is 1 month old. Is it safe to add adult male guppies in with her and the other 2 adult females? Will the male's try to breed with her when she isn't an adult yet?

I plan on adding 1-2 more females and 3 males. Or can I get away with 3 males and 4 females without loads of breeding?1488492152376.jpg

With livebearers you're going to have breeding as long as a female was ever in a tank with a male lol. Most females are pregnant when you buy them anyways. If you don't want fry I'd just keep males.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With livebearers you're going to have breeding as long as a female was ever in a tank with a male lol. Most females are pregnant when you buy them anyways. If you don't want fry I'd just keep males.

Toad, I tried to get males. I tried to get male sunrise guppies. Well I ended up with all female fancies because the ladies didn't know what they were doing. They said that all makes will fight. I have had all males for the longest time until they died. Rarely fought. But I don't know what to believe anymore. My females are fully grown it seems like. Maybe I should throw in some mollies or just more females? I want males in the tank. I'm not afraid of breeding I just don't don't have a breeder tank, just the main 20 gal and a small hospital. I don't want a breeding explosion.

I wouldn't get mollies, they can be bullies with guppies in smaller tanks in my experience.

If they gave you the wrong fish I'd see if you can return them and get the males you want. Pick them out yourself, don't let them do it. If they refuse it might be time to go to a different store. Or see if they will take any fry off of you for credit so you don't get over run. At worst see if you can find someone on craigslist or something that is willing to trade for males or buy your females.

I keep a larger but more gentle fish to 'pick' off my fry so I'm not overflowing with them, you may be able to have a dwarf gourami or something to do that.

I wouldn't get mollies, they can be bullies with guppies in smaller tanks in my experience.

If they gave you the wrong fish I'd see if you can return them and get the males you want. Pick them out yourself, don't let them do it. If they refuse it might be time to go to a different store. Or see if they will take any fry off of you for credit so you don't get over run. At worst see if you can find someone on craigslist or something that is willing to trade for males or buy your females.

I keep a larger but more gentle fish to 'pick' off my fry so I'm not overflowing with them, you may be able to have a dwarf gourami or something to do that.

I may just get more females. I've had the fish for about 1 1/2 months. I named them last week. But my baby I named as an itty bitty fry. I'm attached. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom