advice for fish auctions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found out about a fish auction in my area on Saturday. This would be a first time experience for me. Any advice from experienced fish auction goers? I would only be purchasing fish.

CAS auction? If so, look out for Bob Gruer's fish.... he raises some amazing stock! Regardless, take a cooler of some sort and know your available tank space. It is very easy to over buy at auction. Basically, have a plan before you show up. Its a good idea to show up early so that you can check everything out in advance. Take a smart phone if you can so that you can google the basics if needed. Most importantly, have fun! :)

There's such a thing????? HOLY CRAP!!!! Now I must go to one to complete my life before I die! :O

LIFE = 20% cooler!

Thanks HN1! Yes it is the CAS auction. Are you also going?

I wish! We're all the way out in Georgia, but I knew that CAS was coming up. Bob spoke to our club not too long ago and we picked up some otopharnyx decorus from him.

Very cool. My fifty five just finished cycling so this auction is coming at the perfect time for me. My husband really like s the featherfin catfish, and I wanted to do a Molly and swordtail breeding tank so I may just go brackish and do that. I know I need a new hood and new lights too I want to see what I can find there. And a new heater or two for the fifty five. Lots of work to do before Saturday!

Take a smart phone if you can so that you can google the basics if needed.
This ↑↑↑↑

And don't forget to take cash! Credit cards are not accepted at auctions, at least not the ones I've been to.

David

I got a hold of some of Bob's fish at the RMCA auction in February. Talkin' to him after sounded like he wouldn't have much for the CAS auction. I met a gentleman by the name of Tory Brown who said he was goin' to have a few rare livebearers at the CAS auction. He also said the owner of Select Aquatics may have some stuff up for bid. Select Aquatics - Tropical Fish - Livebearers - Swordtails

Only mentioning it since ya mentioned livebearers. I'd thought 'bout goin', but don't wanna use a vacation day just for that. Advice? Don't get caught up in a bidding war and end up payin' way more than ya would pay on-line (including shipping) or at the LFS. Know what you want to buy ahead of time and get an idea how available they are. Set a spendin' limit and don't exceed it. If ya can pick out what you want ahead of time, try to talk to the person puttin' it up for auction, and try to get a feel if he knows what he's talkin' about or just blowin' smoke. Finally, have fun and make some new friends!

WYite

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom