advice on cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi i bought my elephant nose a new cave. The problem I'm having is it fills up inside with water and when I do my pwc im having to take it out to empty as the smell is awful. Is there any way i could fill it and maybe seal it to stop this from happening? And could the smell harm my big guy. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

I'm assuming you're talking about the structure itself & not the cave space inside? I have caves in my tanks that fill up with water but I've never noticed a bad smell.

I'm assuming you're talking about the structure itself & not the cave space inside? I have caves in my tanks that fill up with water but I've never noticed a bad smell.

Sorry didn't explain that very well lol the actual cave has three holes in the bottom were the water enters in to help it way down, so the water sits inside the structure until you empty it out. When i empty it out the smell is horrible and i was wondering if i could fill it up with maybe sand and then seal it so it weighs down without filling with water. Hope i explained it better lol

I also clean the tank every four days, do you think the smell would harm my elephant? Thanks

shellyx said:
I also clean the tank every four days, do you think the smell would harm my elephant? Thanks

The sand filler would be fine. As per the smell, what's you stock, tank size, feeding schedule? A tank shouldn't smell, especially if your doing that frequent of water changes.

The sand filler would be fine. As per the smell, what's you stock, tank size, feeding schedule? A tank shouldn't smell, especially if your doing that frequent of water changes.

That's great! Sorry it's not my tank that smells just the trapped water inside the cave. When i take the cave out i empty it into a bucket and let it run out there's a strange smell. It's a 53 gallon elephant nose, kuhli, bnp and butterfly plec. Thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom