Advice on cleaning a bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moog24

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good afternoon everyone! I have a simple question, how do I clean the bowfront of my tank? It is getting very dirty and my magnetic scraper won't clean it. Any advice on what to try? I prefer not sticking my arm in to clean it once a week.
Thanks in advance!

There is a type of magnetic cleaner which is a bit curved. And another type which is like a bar, longer and thinner than the more commonly seen rectangle like mag float.

The other question would be why is it getting so dirty? I don't have to clean my front glass too often. I have had at least 5 sizes and a couple types of a bow glass fronted tank.

How long has it been running? Was it all new substrate, filters, etc? Or did you have some of a mix from another tank?

Is it algae, or diatoms, or unsure - do you have a pic of the part before you clean it?

If it does get some bad spots, I use a single edge razor blade at around a 45 angle.

There are also long handled scrubber brushes.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...DtG4SLOGbpIYJ1gbqHsaAvLUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I over fed and my phosphate got too high. I also think there is coraline grown on the glass. The tank is about 2 months old.

Then its definitely coraline because I couldn't get it off with a sponge. Thanks for the help!

Coraline can be varying colors, from cream to grey to greenish to pink and purple. Stiff and crisplike.

Having Coraline is good though. But you don't want it to block the view of your hard work!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom