Advice on Upgrading to 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently have a 40 gallon breeder, have had for 7-8 years and am going to upgrade to a 75 gallon. Would appreciate any input on where to buy, what to look for, etc. I have a stand, have the space. Just don't know anything about makes, manufacturers, etc. A 48" long, 18" deep and 20" high are my preferred specs. Any makes or models I should avoid?

It depends on what country you are in. In the UK there is a company called Jewel/ Juwel?. There have been lots of bad reports about their tanks lately due to plastic support straps and cross members on top of the tank. The plastic is either breaking or coming away from the glass. The company claims it is safe but I would not fill a tank bigger than 2 foot long that has no cross members to stop the front and back glass bowing outwards.

On a tank that is 4 foot long you only need one cross member that is about 3-4 inches wide and goes from the front to back of the tank. The cross member is in the middle of the tank but at the top. There should also be support straps that run the full length about 1/4 inch below the top of the glass. The cross member is glued to the support straps and the front and back glass. The support straps are usually 1 inch wide.

Glass used for cross members and support straps should be the same thickness as the glass used to make the tank. On a 4ft x 18in x 20in high tank, the tank should be 6-8mm thick if it has a cross member and support straps.

If the tank is rimless (has no cross members or support straps, then the glass should be a couple of mm thicker (10mm). The thicker glass is less likely to bow without the support straps and cross member, but it weighs more and costs more. I personally prefer tanks with support straps and cross members.

Definitely do some research on the brand of tank you are considering. Good points mentioned above about tank details to look for.

Personally I prefer to stick to new tanks. The only way I would consider a used one is if I know the person personally and i know they aren’t lying about the age of the tank or anything. I just don’t see the risk being worth saving $100 or whatever, and end up with a 40 year old tank that hasn’t been used in 15 years and it fails the day after you fill it lol

Where are you located (what brands are available in your area)

I'm in the US. I'm looking at the Aqueon 60 gallon breeder. It makes the most sense for the location. A 75 would be a beast in my office, dominating the look, while I think the 60 gallon would be a perfect fit. I've wanted to go bigger for some time now, would like a larger population of fish, but I've had a tendency to overcrowd my 40, so the 60 seems like a good compromise. Currently selling at around $200. Solid build, center cross strap.

I agree I wouldn't buy one used.

I'm a big fan of acrylic tanks. I've had 20 of them from 20 to 100 gallons and never had a problem. Light in weight, more clarity than glass, no frames to spoil the view, virtually unbreakable. Downside is that they are more expensive. Scratching is not a problem if you are careful and virtually any scratch can be easily buffed out. They can also be easily be drilled for accomodation to hardware.

Honestly if the 60 breeder will work, the 75 is the exact same footprint dimensions but 3” taller. Definitely not something I’d say would dominate the room vs the 60 breeder.

There’s very little difference between them, and you get the extra capacity if you tend to stock on the heavy side.

The Aqueon 60 gallon breeder is 16" high, versus 21" for a 75 gallon, so it's actually a 5" differential. I realize 5" isn't' that big of a deal, but for the space I'm filling, it's a meaningful amount. My 40 is 17" high. An additional 4" to what I have now feels like a lot when I look at the space I working with. I go back and forth.

I hadn't thought about acrylic. Most of the LF stores near me, and all the big box stores only stock glass. I acrylic readily available?

Wow, what a cost difference. A glass 60 gallon breeder goes for $200. Just priced an acrylic at a few online option I saw and a 60 is between $600 and as high as $1200. That kinda makes the decision a lot easier

The specs I looked at may have been wrong but it showed the 60 breeder being 18.5” tall.

I haven’t used acrylic but I have seen a couple at the store and they do have a much nicer appearance and visual clarity. But, it’s one of those things that there’s so many mixed reviews on in regards to their durability and of course require delicate care when cleaning to avoid scratching. If you’re into intricate setups or changing the configuration regularly, like mentioned they are easily cut, drilled or modified

Back
Top Bottom