African Ciclids and pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would any of ya'll put a few African Ciclids with a Sailfin Pleco? If so, what ones?

i have plecos in all my cichlid tanks except the very mean ones like jack dempsey or oscars or types like that . most plecos come out at night to feed so make shure he has hiding places

bob mccoy said:
i have plecos in all my cichlid tanks except the very mean ones like jack dempsey or oscars or types like that . most plecos come out at night to feed so make shure he has hiding places

Thank you for replying!

I wouldn't bother with pleco's they are messy fish with s large bio load and IMO don't fit with in well.Instead I would go for synodontis catfish.They do really well.Petricola and cuckoo are great examples.

garfy said:
I wouldn't bother with pleco's they are messy fish with s large bio load and IMO don't fit with in well.Instead I would go for synodontis catfish.They do really well.Petricola and cuckoo are great examples.

Uh, I already have a Pleco. Lol..... He's pretty cool. I took it from a friend who had it in a 20 gal tank...

I found it hard to feed mine. Greedy cichlids would fight over the algae tablet before he had a chance, no matter what time of night. I was worried they were gonna tear each other up over it so I moved him.

I have a common in my 90 g. Early on the cichlids picked on him a little but eventually they stopped. He's fine in there. I will eventually move him out and put in some bn albinos that are currently in my grow out tank.

I have two sf plecos in with my africans with no issues. I feed them a couple hrs after lites out to make sure they get their fair share.

it should work, i have a pleco in my african cichlid tank but yes feeding is difficult because they fight over the algae tabs. i found that it works best to try to feed the pleco with the tank lights off. or drop a cpl in at night when you go to bed.

Just remember what works in one tank as far as stock goes doesn't always work out as a rule with others.

So true a statement - have kept a common plec in my main african tank for many years not counting trading a couple out along the way when they got too big. It works with them but take into consideration the residents are mellow as far as africans go. Also keep bushy nose with some of the Victorians without issue and in another tank there's another common plec.

The one thing I've found since the africans in there also are algae eaters the plec never gets lazy like some of them do after a certain size. The current one was a rescue that had been living in a 10g for 3 years and only 5" long, took her a while to get rolling/growing but now she's close to 11".

garfy said:

But do Synodontis eat algae like Plecos do? I read here somewhere that they in fact do not, but I'm not sure. I have a Syno.Eupterus that only eats fish food, at least as far as I can tell.

jmpgop said:
Would any of ya'll put a few African Ciclids with a Sailfin Pleco? If so, what ones?

To be honest i would not use a sailfin pleco specifically, Those work better with peaceful aquariums and the ph level in an african cichlid tank is a tad bit high for a sailfin. Not to say it cant handle it but its not really suppose to.. What worked best for me is either a common pleco or a bristlenose pleco. The bristlenose can be a bit expensive dependent on where you go.

(Sorry new to site dont mean to write 2 replies,)

But to add on to what i said above, if you really want to add africans with a sailfin your best bet is to probaby make sure the africans are a little smaller than the pleco. I had a 8in long common pleco in my tank with my 5in johonni and zebra along with an aratus. And he got a hole eaten in his head after about a month of having him.

I have some Brown Bristle Nosed Plecos in my African tank 75 Gallon, they do great, I have not tried with my Mbuna tank yet but will Soon.

I like the BN they dont get huge like the common and yes they do add to the bio load alot, but hey I think they are sooo ugly they are cute :)

mdawg75 said:
I have some Brown Bristle Nosed Plecos in my African tank 75 Gallon, they do great, I have not tried with my Mbuna tank yet but will Soon.

I like the BN they dont get huge like the common and yes they do add to the bio load alot, but hey I think they are sooo ugly they are cute :)

I didn't think that BN had as big of a bio-load as a common?

I might be reading your comment wrong though!

alLexX said:
apparently they can pick outthe plecos eyes

I have a synodontis petricola that lost an eye to my cichlids. My 2 bn plecos have been untouched thus far. (Over a year)

Back
Top Bottom