African Clawed Frog Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poseidon54

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve had my ACF for 3 years now without any issues until 3 days ago when I noticed him floating at the top of his tank. I didn’t notice anything wrong walking past him until I opened my closet door and accidentally startled him. He tried to swim down to his cave but was super buoyant and literally couldn’t get himself to stop floating. I noticed this and saw that he was a bit rounder than usual and immediately assumed it was bloat so I bought epsom salt and ordered Maracyn II off of Amazon. I did a complete water change and have been giving him daily salt baths but nothing seems to be helping. I also tried a non-toxic bacterial infection remedy I’ve used for my fish because the Maracyn hasn’t even been shipped yet. He’s been getting bigger each day and now his genitalia is extremely red and swollen and he’s getting these faint marks on his body and face. I considered it may be red leg but he doesn’t have any lesions on his abdomen or legs so I don’t know what it could be at this point. As of now I’m assuming it’s bacterial but I don’t know what else to do until the medicine arrives or of he’ll make it til then. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• ECDB13CF-85B7-4A78-AB0A-C18303617011.jpg
    ECDB13CF-85B7-4A78-AB0A-C18303617011.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1A14F996-68D0-4E36-B30C-99588EDC2268.jpg
    1A14F996-68D0-4E36-B30C-99588EDC2268.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 19
Hi,

You might consider leaving the Epsom salts in the tank with fish I use a tsp. per gallon to start and increase it to 1 TBL per gallon, leaving the Epsom Salts in the tank. I haven't kept a Clawed Frog though, but leaving it in the tank may help. I have not

Do you have a filter and is it cycled?

I would do 100% water changes, to make sure there is not any ammonia in the water to further stress him.

Yes I have a filter and it's cycled but I had to take the carbon out for the bacterial remedy I'm trying and I did a 100% water change the day I noticed the issue. Open sores have just shown up on his legs when I checked on him this morning and his face/mouth is now incredibly bloated so I'm assuming it's red leg. I'm trying to find an exotic vet near me that will take a look at him I'm just hoping it's not too late- thanks for your help though!

Back
Top Bottom