African clawed frogs compatibility with fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolyptRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
What fish would be compatible with an African clawed frog both the small and large frogs? I've been wanting an albino clawed frog but have read its not a good idea to keep them in community tanks. If I got a very large one would it possibly be alright with cichlids?

From what I remember when my kids had a couple albino african clawed frogs they got big and they eat any fish they can fit in their mouths... and boy did they have big mouths! I'm not sure I'd put them in with any fish. Now the little dwarf african frogs can go in a community tank but be sure the tank isn't too deep as they need to be able to reach the surface for air. They also do better in a groups if I remember right. The only issue with them in a community tank is that you will need to target feed them or the fish will usually gobble up all the food, leaving none for them. A turkey baster or a larger syringe (no needle) will work for that and they catch on real fast that the baster/syringe means food.

I have 2 clawed frogs in a tank with
2 firemouths
2 black convicts
1 gold severum
2 pink kissing fish
1 common pleco
1 spiny eel and a small marble goby.. They will eat small fish but u can find plenty of cichlids large enough . Mine are both huge and would say any fish over 3 inches should be ok. Thats my opinion

Attachments

• image-1101292571.jpg
    image-1101292571.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 277
  • image-1662380887.jpg
    image-1662380887.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 375
My cichlids are all over three inches but if I were to put a frog in the tank now they would kill it because the Lfs only sells the young ones if I could find a big one I might try it

Any fish slighlty larger and semi aggressive should do. Plecos, cichlids (some), and polypterus would work.

Thanks! I'll just have to try and find a big one. I think it's funny that something that looks like they do are predatory killers haha they are too weird

Ok I love frogs but these things just remind me of a dead plucked chicken before it is cooked:) sorry again I love frogs but......

Back
Top Bottom