African Dwarf Frog! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ewokbuns

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! I'm kind of new around here! Anyways I need some advice on feeding and maintaining my African Dwarf Frog. He is kind of small so I don't need to feed him a lot. However, i want to know if there is any methods on what to feed him or how to feed him. Right now I have aquatic frog/tadpole sinking pellets. (Picture below of him and the food.) He doesn't really seem interested in it though. PLEASE help! THANKS! dde00

Attachments

• image-2049236039.jpg
    image-2049236039.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image-788924756.jpg
    image-788924756.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 124
I use a small tongs and put freeze dried bloodworms on the end to hand feed mine. Once my frog sees me he immediately swims to the front and recognizes the tongs when I have them. You can also put the pellets on the tongs. I believe hand feeding is better because with fish my frogs hardly ever got food.

I fed mine frozen bloodworms. You can thaw them out in a shallow fish full of water, I used a Gatorade lid, and suck them up with a turkey baster. You can squeeze them out one or two at a time in front of his face. With a small frog it won't take many. Just thaw what you need and put the rest of the cube in a ziplock back and back in the freezer. The first couple times it might try to get away until it smells food. He'll figure it out after a couple times, they are surprisingly smart. I use that same turkey baster to suck up uneaten pellets or anything else undesirable and he would always think I was gonna feed him.

I feed my adf those same pellets, as well as frozen bloodworms. I turn of the filter, which is the signal food is coming, and I drop the pellets in the front corner of the tank, always. They are smart and will catch on quick to the feeding ritual you initiate. They see terribly, so they go mostly from smell, mine didnt quite "get" the pellet food idea until they were more trained to where to come for dinner. Now they come to the food corner and start snapping at whatever is there.
I feed my bloodworms a bit differently (same filter routine and corner) but I use a syringe with a little tank water and squirt the worms slowly down into thier corner, a few at a time. Once they eat those, I will give a few more. This helps to keep from overfeeding and making a mess of the tank. I also have a dwarf puffer in the tank who eats his bloodworms right from the tip of the syringe.

You can try feeding both the pellets and a couple bloodworms together in the same spot to entice him. Once he figures out those pellets are food, he will readily eat them.

Lastly, I see you use gravel, the pellets might be falling down into the gravel where he cant get them. Try getting a small saucer (like the bottom tray of a terracotta pot) and drop his food on the saucer. That way her can get to it, and will also become a routine for him.

I always put the food in the same corner and they will figure it out. I've had 10 in total at different times and in my experience you wont see them eat much but trust me they do. Surprising how filled out they get. Take a now picture and one in a few months.

Hello everyone, here is my frog right now

Attachments

• image-727027486.jpg
    image-727027486.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 91
UPDATE*

I've successfully added 2 more little guys to my tank. I started to feed them frozen bloodworms and they love them! They're all living happily in my community tank. :)

Great to hear they are eating! I feed my 4 the same food you had issues with without problems, tiny terra cotta plate I drop the food on. Frogs are waiting by/in plate most mornings. They love some bloodworm to.

Back
Top Bottom