African dwarf frog question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauderdale45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Y daughter wants a African dwarf frog we have a 100 gal fw tank there is really no structure out of the water for them to get a break from the water but every pet store I see them in have them in the regular tanks not the frog tanks is there any special care to these what do they eat can they be placed in just a regular fw tank don't know any thing about this species or any frogs for that matter

Dwarf frogs do best in a tank that's 24" or less because they need to breathe air. They're fully aquatic. I'm not sure a 100 gallon would be the best of options--they don't see well, so many of them need to be fed with a turkey baster squirting the food near them because they won't find food just dropped in. Some are better than others, though. If you have large, territorial, or semi-aggressive fish in the tank, it would be a bad idea because their skin is very delicate. There's a lot of information that can be found on them on google--go check their temperature and care needs against how your tank is set up. Depending on temperature, stock, and decor, it may be doable.

I wouldn't recommend adding ADF's to this tank. They are nearly blind, and will be outcompeted for food in this type of community setting. If keeping them in a community, target feeding is required which would be difficult in this large of a tank. They are social creatures so you odn't want to keep just one. They can also be aggressive towards fish and vice versa. Their dietary requirements are different from fish, they should only eat frog & tadpole bites and frozen foods (or live). They should not be in a setting where they could eat other pellets or wafers as they have sensitive digestive systems and are prone to bloat and dropsy.

So how would an ADF do in a 3 gallon tank with a beta? Lightly planted?

randy86 said:
So how would an ADF do in a 3 gallon tank with a beta? Lightly planted?

I got one a couple days ago (a little more) he is LITERALLY blind!! 3G would be good though. Still trying to hand fed might take him back since it is so hard! Well with Betta can be hit and miss

They are social critters that need to be kept in a trio, or at the very least a pair. 5 gals is the minimum tanks size for them, but 10 gals is really better. I would consider 5 gals the minimum for bettas as well, so adding both to a 3 gal tank would be severely overstocking.

Sometimes the two get along fine, but many bettas have killed frogs. I observed a betta in a small tank with frogs at an LFS the other day and it was continuously attacking the frogs. A couple of my frogs are pretty vicious and I would think they would shred a betta. It's not a combo I can recommend.

A species only tank is best for ADF's.

No prob. I'm crazy about these little guys, been keeping them for many years. I'm currently breeding both the regular and albinos. If you set up a species only 5 or 10 gal tank for them, you won't regret it!

Another thing I forgot to add, I would consider a sponge filter a must for them. Not long ago I had one get caught and subsequently die, in the filter intake tube of a HOB. :(

Well I have a sponge filter but were you.meani.g for the frog or the beta

Back
Top Bottom