African dwarf frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
McLumpy I am so sorry about your little froggy..that would really ruin my day! I must say in all the reading I have done on ADF's I have never heard of this method of feeding but it seems it would eliminate the bowel impaction risk, you learn something every day! However, I can't help but wonder why bother with the extra steps or concern when you can just toss in some frog bites that are formulated for their nutritional needs and to not cause impaction. Also those shrimp pellets contain copper sulfate and I'm not sure how safe that is for inverts..since I keep a pretty nerite snail and MTS with my frogs I try to be careful with copper. My frogs might be a little snobbish because they won't even eat a frog bite once it becomes waterlogged...I have to suck it out with a turkey baster...so I don't think this feeding method would work for my frogs. They do SO love blood worms :)

Thanks for the kind words! I miss the poor little guy. :( You can read more about what happened by clicking the link in my signature. That is, if you feel froggy, (pathetic pun ftw! LOL).

As far as the Copper Sulfate in the Pellets, I was unaware of this. I don't know if it would hurt the ADF's, but now I'm curious and will research it when I have more time. I swear, my head is about to explode from researching so much stuff all at once! LOL

In regards to why I don't use frog food... my problem is I have 2 pet stores near me, Petco and Petsmart. I checked both stores for frog bites, but couldn't find them, (and yes, I even asked the employees... but a lot of good that does anyway, huh? lol).

I more or less experimented w/ a few foods that I had and that were noted online as being safe for them. They didn't care for anything I introduced, except for the shrimp pellets. They have yet to miss a meal and I make sure to use my gravel vac when I notice leftover food on the gravel. I usually just feed them 1-2 pellets/meal though, so it doesn't accumulate too much waste.

Edit: Just did a quick search and here's the list of ingredients for the type, (Wardley Premium Shrimp Pellets), that I feed my ADF's. No mention of it containing Copper Sulfate, (at least not on Petco's site).

http://www.petco.com/product/2844/Wardley-Shrimp-Pellets-Sinking-Tropical-Food.aspx

Ingredients:
Shrimp meal, wheat flour, soy protein concentrate, hydrolyzed fish protein, corn gluten meal, brewers dried yeast, dried beet pulp, wheat germ meal, plankton, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C).

However, this other type of Wardley brand pellets does contain Copper Sulfate, (but this is not what I'm feeding my ADF's).

Yes I have the ones do have the copper sulfate! I think it's just fine for the frogs but if they were in a tank with inverts like shrimp or snails you have to be careful about too much copper getting in the water. Even then I'm not positive if copper sulfate is one of the dangerous coppers...it get's a little confusing!! I totally get it now...I get my frog bites at a lfs not a chain store, I have never seen them in my petco either! Which doesn't make sense if you ask me since they sell alot of ADF's! I have to order alot of fish food online.. I can't find the stuff I need locally for alot of my inverts and the fish food selection in general in my petco is limited and overpriced :(

Back
Top Bottom