African Featherfin Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wanted one but I dont have anything big enough to keep them in.. yet. They can grow up to eight inches and I was also informed they can be quite territorial

It's in a 60 gal with a pair of young texas cichlids and a young green terror.

Fun fish to keep. They get to be more like friends than pets. I have 4. 2 with jack dempseys/firemouths and 2 with african cichlids. They should do fine with your stocking but I wouldn't get them too small unless your cichlids are still pretty small. They do best when the water is kept clean. I do weekly water changes on their tanks. I also have extra filtration since they are like cichlids in the bio-load production (lots of poop) They eat any and every thing. Once they get to know you they'll eat out of your fingers and expect very soft belly rubs, or at least mine do.

Last edited:
DragonFish71 said:
Fun fish to keep. They get to be more like friends than pets. I have 4. 2 with jack dempseys/firemouths and 2 with african cichlids. They should do fine with your stocking but I wouldn't get them too small unless your cichlids are still pretty small. They do best when the water is kept clean. I do weekly water changes on their tanks. I also have extra filtration since they are like cichlids in the bio-load production (lots of poop) They eat any and every thing. Once they get to know you they'll eat out of your fingers and expect very soft belly rubs, or at least mine do.
That's awesome...it is a good size for my cichlida there all about a couple inches. Since texas cichlids prefer clean water I have double filtration and do probably 40% water change ever 10 days I guess. I read the feather fin can be hard to keep. I have a 55 gal I'm gonna set up when the time is right to Seperate my Texans and my GT so my GT has his own tank and ill probably get another feather fin. Are they fast growers??

I have one with my Africans and though he does get his fins nipped a lot he is doing well. They have a lot of personality and mine will come up and eat food off the top with the cichlids. I just feed him what they eat, NLS cichlid pellets. I have had him about 3/4 year and he isn't growing super fast. He's about four inches and was maybe two or three when I got him.

Back
Top Bottom