African Featherfin Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcpeach93

Aquarium Advice Regular
My two african featherfin catfish, does anyone else keep these with their african cichlids? If so, I have been feeding them hikari algae wafers and they seem to be eating it all up overnight, because I feed the cichlids new life spectrum before turning off the lights, then I toss in to halves on opposite sides of the tank for the two featherfins and they come out at night/when the lights go off, night for my scheduling but what do you feed yours?

Sent from my Z970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422219202465.jpg
    1422219202465.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 1422219231529.jpg
    1422219231529.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 143
I keep one with my mbuna. Don't feed them anything special, I feed the tank NLS cichlid flakes daily with one extra helping of kens tropical flakes once a week, and a handful of algae wafers on another day of the week.
He's been there five years and is plenty fat.

K thanks, I figured that the algae wafers were fine. Cause mine are getting bigger, just slowly.

Was just commenting to my wife I need to find a better way to feed my feather fin. My Ciclids go into a frenzy during feeding time. Poor catfish has a hard time getting food.

K thanks ill try that tonigt, they come riht ot after the light goes off and food is all gone in the morning, so i guess they are getting plenty to eat.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=121

I fed ours at the store using a turkey baster. I will put frozen Brine shrimp or blood worms into some tank water and then suck up the defrosted food with the turkey baster and then feed the catfish just after lights out. I did not feed hours algae wafers, as I think they eat mostly meat. Algae wafers are okay but I think meat based food is more important.

They also got Omega One shrimp pellets, and other sinking foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks I'll get some of that next time I stop at store then and see how they like it.

Growing slowly? My last 1" baby was a full-size adult in a matter of a few months, unlike my multipunctatus and lucipinnis that took years to reach full size. I feed all my fish a staple diet of NLS 1mm Cichlid or .5mm Grow pellets, Ken's veggie or brine shrimp flake occasionally for variety. I also toss in french-cut canned green beans occasionally, was just feeding those to the BN pleco's but the other fish eat them too.

Once a week I take a zucchini and slice the peeling off one side. Then take the zucchini and rubberband it to a rock . Within 2 days it's gone . I have a feather fin and a common Pleco in my Oscar tank plus my clown loach

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom