African stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanteNPS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm a new member of this community and i have a question regarding the stocking of my 110 gallon tank.

I'm planning on an All male African Cichlid tank, and I'm still new regarding african cichlid. I had heard that you must avoid putting cichlid with the same colour in the tank, and currently planning to buy :
- 1 Aulonocara dragon blood
- 5 Aulonocara 'OB' peacock
- 1 Aulonocara Red Flush
- 1 Aulonocara Red German
- 1 Aulonocara Red Rubin
- 1 Aulonocara Baensechi
- 1 Aulonocara Red Eureka
- 1 Aulonocara Blue Neon
- 1 Aulonocara Sulphur Red
All of the fishes above are 2" long (Juvies)

I don't know much about other species of african, I had cared for yellow lab Mbuna before, but many said to avoid putting mbuna with Aulonocara together.

The questions are,
1.is my current stocking okay?
2.Should I add more cichlids into the tank? Or I should remove some of the fish from the above list?
3. If I need to add more, what fish should I add that can coexist with my current list?

Thank you?
(Sorry if I made some grammatical mistakes, english is not my mother language)

You could add another handful if your goal is to overstock which you should with Africans. Bump your filtration way up if you overstock. Pull out any troublemakers as you go. This seems to be the formula for guys I've seen who keep Africans.

I agree with KF's advice about upping the filtration and stock. If you have a sufficient hardscape you can keep some low octane Mbuna like White or Yellow Tail Acei, Exasperatus or even one nice looking male Yellow Lab. I'd recommend the White Tail Acei, they are one of the few Mbuna that actually school. I've got approx. 10 Peacocks, 4 Haps, 6 Mbuna, 5 Botia Loaches, 1 BN Pleco in my 120. All do well.

I agree with KF's advice about upping the filtration and stock. If you have a sufficient hardscape you can keep some low octane Mbuna like White or Yellow Tail Acei, Exasperatus or even one nice looking male Yellow Lab. I'd recommend the White Tail Acei, they are one of the few Mbuna that actually school. I've got approx. 10 Peacocks, 4 Haps, 6 Mbuna, 5 Botia Loaches, 1 BN Pleco in my 120. All do well.
Would you ever put a striped Rafael catfish with your Africans? I've been kicking around this idea.

SR Catfish are pretty tough, and I'm sure they could adjust to tbe African water parameters.
I think one would do fine in a Peacock, Hap tank. Maybe not so well in a strictly Mbuna tank.

Hi, thx a lot for you reply��
Yeah i have been considering of adding more cichlid into the tank, but the choice in my LFS is kinda limited.
From my experience with yellow lab, they have always been an aggressive bunch, and I'm kinda worried of putting them together with Aulonocaras.

The seller told me that I can put a colony of Tropheus Dubiosi, a Malawi Eyebitter, or some frontosas (I'm not gonna put even one frontosa in the tank, they're HUGE)

Should I get a mix of male and female White Tail Acei? Or just all male? And what about Haps?

Thx a lot for your input, I'm very inexperienced with African Cichlid, the only types I knew are Aulonocara and Tropheus kind����

Since you like Yellow Labs, a solo male would likely be fine. Malawi Eyebitters are good, but it's difficult to pick out a male until they reach 3", males are much more colorful. I'd just stick with Malawi cichlids. Tropheus and Fonts are from a whole other ecosystem. If you are interested in Haps, Red Empress, Sulphur Head Hap, Red Fin Borleyi, Electric Blue Hap. are good choices. If you want multiple Dragonblood Peacocks, just buy one of each variety, Firefish, Bluefire, Strawberry ect. A really coloful OB Peacock always look good.

Back
Top Bottom