Africans or South American?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i like africans. but im a *little* biased cause ive only ever had jewels :p

I like south American because they can be in smaller tanks and ate usually a lot more peaceful. Africans are a lot prettier but I like peaceful fish

I personally like South Americans just because they can be part of a community not involving only Cichlids. African Cichlids communities can be verrrrry beautiful but South American allow you to really have a planted tank. Which is my style.

Pckerfreak44 said:
I like south American because they can be in smaller tanks and ate usually a lot more peaceful. Africans are a lot prettier but I like peaceful fish

That's not true

I like all of them and keep african mbuna, haps and peacocks. There is a member on here named Hukit that has really opened my eyes to sa Cichlids and has proven to me that some of them can be just as colorful. Plus some of the sa Cichlids are just as aggressive then african. I would love to keep some new worlds at some point. But I need to take baby steps with my wife hahahaha if you know what I mean. I think either way your going to go you'll be some what happy. The reason I say some what is because most of us can't just enjoy one tank. ;) hope this helps

SA for me, I find them more interesting, most people in the UK do Africans - I like to be different, every bit as colourful as African,s - I love my Rainbow Cichlid, HUKIT,s Salvini and Red Terror Cichlids are a sight to behold, I like having a lot of bogwood and plants in my tank which can be problematic with the pH requirements of Africans, and there is new Species of SA being discovered all the time.

Borderlesscott said:
SA for me, I find them more interesting, most people in the UK do Africans - I like to be different, every bit as colourful as African,s - I love my Rainbow Cichlid, HUKIT,s Salvini and Red Terror Cichlids are a sight to behold, I like having a lot of bogwood and plants in my tank which can be problematic with the pH requirements of Africans, and there is new Species of SA being discovered all the time.

+1, HUKIT's Salvini are truly beautiful fish. I'm sure people on here for argue for days ab which is better. It all depends on what your flavor is.

In my opinion :D...
If you want the colors of Saltwater fish without the stresses and expense of maintaining a saltwater tank then you need to go with Africans. A lot of the original wild specimens were colorfully striking when properly maintained.

If you like intelligent fish, oddly behaviored fish, LARGE fish, interestingly patterned and shaped fish, you need to go S.A. (I'm just talking actual wild caught specimens here not the Man made varieties.) Look at the Discus for example, not too many africans have this shape :brows: And what about a C. manguense? It's pattern is pretty out there. And intelligence? There is a old story of an Oscar (in Germany If I recall correctly) that was trained to pull a string that rang a bell when he wanted to eat. You don't see too many fish doing that I believe. :lol:

Hope this answers your poll (y)

New World for looks and personality. Africans just don't stand out to my taste. Now, I'm not saying I think they're boring, no by all means. They just don't stand out to me.

I have a African in my south American tank, him and my baby jaguar tend to lip lock here and there I've always wanted a big giraffe cichlid in my tank to bad my big jag won't let me keep any baby's in the tank :(

i adore africans best, i used to have some gorgeous zebras and demasonis and other beauties from that range... the irony is right now i only have one fish, an oscar (South American)! the africans got sold as they were difficult.... strongly regretting it now xxxx

Back
Top Bottom