Aggression and the Pecking Order... Where do you draw the line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
When adding a new member to an established aquatic community, aggression and other territory issues are likely to occur. I understand that this is a normal part of the social dynamic when establishing the "pecking order."

I don't know much about aggression... and my recent experience has raised some questions. I hope this post can get an informative dialogue going, as not all fish-keepers will likely agree on what to do.

Here's my story...

I have a moderately planted 10 gallon tank that has been housing two Gouramis for several months. The two Gourami's are an 4.5" Male Opal Gourami and a 3" Female Gold Gourami. The Female Gold Gourami used to be larger, and has a history of being rather aggressive, but over the past year has shrunk in size and appears to have mellowed in temperament. The Opal Gourami is clearly dominant among the two and the two coexisted for several months with plenty of chasing, but never any injury. The pair has never shown any inclination to breed.

With the introduction of the colder months, I needed a solution to keep my Bettas, who I had been keeping in bowls, warm enough. I decided to move one of my males into the tank with the Gouramis. He is large, for a Betta, but smaller than both of the Gourami's. Right before adding the Betta, I rearranged the interior of the tank.

At first, the Betta hid, coming out of his hiding place under the lava rock for only air and food. After a couple of days he became more active in the tank. The gold Gourami would chase him at first, and at one point took a bite out of his tail fin. Within short order, the Betta had turned the tables and would regularly chase the Gold one. The Opal had nothing to do with the Betta at this point.

After the Betta had asserted dominance over the Gold, he was soon chasing the Opal Gourami away. It didn't seem to matter that the Gourami was twice the size of the Betta. The Betta was clearly the king of the tank. He stopped messing with anyone and no-one messed with him. Several weeks passed without incident. During this time, the Gouramis didn't even chase each-other. Throughout this entire process, all three fish have maintained vibrant colors and have been eating normally.

Yesterday afternoon, I got back from class and noticed that the Betta had suffered injury. He had lost a scale near his dorsal fin and his tail fin now had a quarter inch split down the middle. He was surprisingly more active in the tank than I had ever seen him. If the Gouramis mess with him he quickly turns the tables by flaring is fins and gill flaps. He doesn't hesitate to make chase if he is bothered, but otherwise leaves the other two alone. He is spending about a fifth of his time in his hiding place.

I don't know what to do.
1. Should I remove the Betta or should I let this process run its course?

Also, other questions were raised...
2. How much aggression is normal?
3. How long does it take to establish territories and dominance?
4. Are minor injuries or fin damage an acceptable part of this process?
5. What factors play into the dominance of a particular fish?

I'm beginning to learn about aggression the hard way as well. My platinum angel I just bought is aggressive.

Many of the books I have on aquariums and fish keeping don't explore the topic of aggression very deeply. ... not sure if there is an "easy way" to learn such lessons.

This stocking situation really can't work IMO. Three different labyrith fish in a 10 gal tank is asking for trouble. Those gouramis and way too big for a 10 gallon tank. I highly recommend you remove them right away. If you can't provide a 29 gallon+ tank for them, they should be rehomed. It's just cruel to keep fish that large in a 10 gallon tank IMO. She has shrunk in size because she's terribly stunted in that tiny tank. Unfortunately in this case I really don't think they aren't going to establish a pecking order. I think it's far more likely those gouramis are going to eventually rip the betta to shreds.

I agree with siva. I don't think the issue is going to resolve itself. You have 3 fish (2 way too big for the tank) fighting for dominance in a very small space. If you don't remove them soon, most likely, you will come home to a dead fish.

This stocking situation really can't work IMO. Three different labyrith fish in a 10 gal tank is asking for trouble. Those gouramis and way too big for a 10 gallon tank. I highly recommend you remove them right away. If you can't provide a 29 gallon+ tank for them, they should be rehomed. It's just cruel to keep fish that large in a 10 gallon tank IMO. She has shrunk in size because she's terribly stunted in that tiny tank. Unfortunately in this case I really don't think they aren't going to establish a pecking order. I think it's far more likely those gouramis are going to eventually rip the betta to shreds.

I agree. The Betta would do best in the 10 gal tank and not a bowl :( with a group of small peaceful schooling fish. The Gouramis are too large to keep in a 10 gal; as Siva said they are already suffering stunting which is very painful for the fish. Get a larger tank for the Gouramis and keep the Betta in the 10 with some other peaceful small tropical fish. Otherwise rehome Gouramis. Sorry. :(

This stocking situation really can't work IMO. Three different labyrith fish in a 10 gal tank is asking for trouble.

+1

You don't really have a problem with your individual fish. You have a problem with attempting to keep non-compatible species in a tank that is not appropriate for them. You will never have the peaceful tank you're looking for in this particular situation.

Well, crap. Never considered the tank could be overstocked... at least I've keep the water quality high considering the circumstances...

I have an empty 39 Gallon that I was thinking about making into a Biotope. I'm thinking that a Southeast Asian Biotope should fit the bill.

musicman said:
Well, crap. Never considered the tank could be overstocked... at least I've keep the water quality high considering the circumstances...

I have an empty 39 Gallon that I was thinking about making into a Biotope. I'm thinking that a Southeast Asian Biotope should fit the bill.

The 39 would be perfect for the gouramis and then your betta could have the 10.

I agree, that would be ideal. Hopefully you can get the wheels in motion on that project right away. They really need seperated. If you have another small tank you could keep the betta in until the 39 is ready for the gouramis, I think that would be best.

Back
Top Bottom