Aggressive betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppy 74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have just got a stunning Siamese fighter , only problem is after a couple of hours in my tank he's become a little bully is this normal ? I have 3 females for him any help most welcome , he live with dwarf goramis and a mix of com fish

Male bettas can be pretty aggressive, hence the name "Siamese Fighting Fish." My betta is so aggressive he has a tank all to himself. He ate a neon tetra and the antennas of 3 snails. I recommend putting him in a separate tank if the aggression persists.

Guppy 74 said:
Have just got a stunning Siamese fighter , only problem is after a couple of hours in my tank he's become a little bully is this normal ? I have 3 females for him any help most welcome , he live with dwarf goramis and a mix of com fish

Him and the DG are going to have problems. What size tank are they in? What do you mean a mix of com fish? Could you tell us your stock?

I have a 110 ltr tank I have a plec , dg's , Congo tetra ,glass cat , a molly , 2 guppys , a few good size tetras and a couple of siamese sharks . .

With male bettas they either go along with other fish or they don't... I had a Betta that didn't go well with other fish, but my brother had a Betta with other fish just fine.

I have had Male Bettas in large Communuty Tanks for years and I don't think they fought with anyone. They like to have floating plants around to hide in. Right now I have a nice Bright Red one in a 20G and he gets along fine with Swords, Corys and Small Cichlids.

Wait, the three females are int the same tank? Males and females should only ever be kept together for breeding, they will fight just like two males would otherwise. The females will also be prone to fighting each other as well. I agree that he should have his own tank, some Bettas will tolerate tankmates but some won't and if he is already being a bully it isn't likely he will calm down.

I have a 110 ltr tank I have a plec , dg's , Congo tetra ,glass cat , a molly , 2 guppys , a few good size tetras and a couple of siamese sharks . .

The betta and DG could have problems. Also it's not wise to keep male and female bettas together; they'll kill each other. I'd remove him and get him his own tank ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom