Aggressive molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrea_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is about 2 months old. This female I've had from the beginning, I recently added more fish since my tank is done cycling. From the start this fish has always been fiesty with my other fish (I cycled in with 4 fish) she would nip and charge every once in a while but nothing concerning

Now that I've added more fish, she's become very aggressive and territorial. She charges at any fish that comes near her and fin nips!!! She chases my poor fishes across my tank

Not quite sure what to do with her or if this behavior is safe for my other fish or not. Has anyone had any experiences with their mollies?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You want a ratio of about 1 male to 3 females. If there is more males than females this could stress her out.

There are no males only 2 females

Your Molly

Hello and...

A few things that will help. Plant the tank well with some floating plants to provide comfort for the Molly and hiding places for the others. Anacharis, Pennywort and Hornwort are good plants. Just drop several individual stems into the tank. A heavily planted surface is very good for Livebearing fish. Mollies need larger tanks and pure water conditions. A 30 gallon tank is the minimum for even a few Mollies, a male and 3 or four females. 50 percent water changes weekly are needed to keep dissolved wastes out of the water.

If you're not adding a bit of standard aquarium salt to the water, consider doing it. Mollies are brackish water fish. The salt will calm the fish and boosts the immune system. A teaspoon or two for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water is sufficient.

Take good care of the tank water and the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

B

Even though a ratio of 1:3 in favour of females is the best route to go even the females will try to establish a pecking order. The more females you have the more the aggression is shared. It's natural behaviour but is a shame for a community aquarium.

Perhaps think about returning the bully. The fish that are being chased will be stressed and a stressed fish can lead to disease, even in a clean tank.

Once the bully has been removed you have a chance that the next fish to claim dominancy will not be such a naturalistic A hole.

Back
Top Bottom