Agressive gold gourami, tankmate ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have recently added a male and a female gold gourami to one of my tropical community tanks. The male is being aggressive to my other gouramis as well as my bigger tetras. He does not bother my albino corys.

I recently acquired a 29 gallon tank and I have just finished setting it up. I would like to move the male gold gourami into this tank for sure. I think I will add my albino corys as well. I want to add something else to the tank that will put up with the aggressive gold gourami, any ideas?

I am willing to move my current fish around so here is a list of what I have.

2 honey gourami (1male, 1female)
2 pearl gourami (both female)
1 gold gourami (female)
2 gold skirt tetras
1 blood fin tetra
7 cardinal tetras
1 Dalmatian Molly
1 yellow lab
4 albino corys
1 small pleco

Have recently added a male and a female gold gourami to one of my tropical community tanks. The male is being aggressive to my other gouramis as well as my bigger tetras. He does not bother my albino corys.

I recently acquired a 29 gallon tank and I have just finished setting it up. I would like to move the male gold gourami into this tank for sure. I think I will add my albino corys as well. I want to add something else to the tank that will put up with the aggressive gold gourami, any ideas?

I am willing to move my current fish around so here is a list of what I have.

2 honey gourami (1male, 1female)
2 pearl gourami (both female)
1 gold gourami (female)
2 gold skirt tetras
1 blood fin tetra
7 cardinal tetras
1 Dalmatian Molly
1 yellow lab
4 albino corys
1 small pleco
Probably because of all the gouramis, what size tank?

Since you know the male gold gourami is aggressive I would not keep the little Honey gourami in such a small tank with him.

Since you know the male gold gourami is aggressive I would not keep the little Honey gourami in such a small tank with him.

I agree, I want to put both the gold gouramis in my 29 gallon with my corys. I am wondering if I can put anything else with him and if so what are some suggestions.

Honestly you may or may not have success keeping anything with him but you could try more aggressive fish that might be able to hold their own but aren't so nippy you have to worry about the gourami's feelers getting nipped at constantly. You might be able to try something like cherry barbs, diamond tetra's, gold barbs, or black skirt/white skirt tetras. Many might suggest tiger barbs but they could be a problem with nipping at the feelers too much.

Honestly you may or may not have success keeping anything with him but you could try more aggressive fish that might be able to hold their own but aren't so nippy you have to worry about the gourami's feelers getting nipped at constantly. You might be able to try something like cherry barbs, diamond tetra's, gold barbs, or black skirt/white skirt tetras. Many might suggest tiger barbs but they could be a problem with nipping at the feelers too much.

I have some white skirt tetras in one of my other tanks, I think I will try them. Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom