Ahhh! Help temp 94.5!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KlcoKN

Aquarium Advice Activist
HELP, totally freaking out!
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif

We've been treating for ich, keeping the temp at 88-89, just looked at the thermometer and confirmed with a digital, temp shot up to almost 95!
How do I safely lower it without stressing out my fish further or killing them from the shock?!
I turned down then thought better of it and unplugged both heaters, and then removed the lids so more surface area exposed, will evaporation cool it quick enough? too quickly? should I add cooler water?
We haven't adjusted the heaters in days, why'd it shoot up?! Crap, maybe I bumped it scooping out fry? Or the power went out a couple of times yesterday for a few minutes each, could it have screwed with the heater settings somehow?

add alittle ice from the freezer it melts slow and wont hurt a thing . then get your heeter adjusted

Yes I would add ice, it won't hurt them at all. What kind of heater is it? If it's a cheap brand they can do that.

I added a gallon or so of cool water to the filters so it gets circulated quickly, I'm afraid even that might be cooling it too quick... its now 93.2
I've got 11 adult guppies and about 40 fry, 3 2-3 inch bn plecos, 2 2 1/2 inch polkadot loaches and 10 ghost shrimp, is it better for them to cool slowly and stay longer at a higher temp or is it better to cool them quick and possible shock them?

Hmmmm, i'm no expert, since this has never happened to me...but I would add a bag of ice, then it will cool the tank slowly so they don't go in shock, but also quick enough so they don't fry.

Ok I got it to 92.5 adding cool water, I think I'm going to try waiting 15-20 minutes and see if it will cool off slowly on its own.
Ice just sounds too harsh to me, I'm afraid it would be too hard to keep it circulated so there are not cold spots that would send my fish into shock...

Dang I've jumped up and tested the temp like 10 times since my last post, finally went down .1 degree...

I am sure your guppies will be fine. I used to have them and they are incredibly hearty! Good luck!

Added a bit more cool water, temp at 90.5 now, put the lids back on but lights still off, turned the heaters way down and back up till the lights came on and then one degree cooler, going to monitor the temp and heaters closely and if they turn on prematurely or don't start heating once it gets down to the low 88s adjust them...

DON'T add ice it has chlorine in it!!! Take a few gallons out and add cooler dechlorinated water

FishGeek97 said:
Hmmmm, i'm no expert, since this has never happened to me...but I would add a bag of ice, then it will cool the tank slowly so they don't go in shock, but also quick enough so they don't fry.

Adding that much ice you will kill all ur fish!!!
1. A bag will chill it to fast.
2. Its not dechlorinated!!!!!

Lol yeah I was pretty sure adding ice would cause more damage than good, finally got to the right temp range, still checking every 15-30 minutes lol, but the heaters seem to be keeping it at 88.5 ish, keep your fingers crossed it stays there!

Back
Top Bottom