Aiptasia in my refugium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a chaeto ball last week end and it looks like it has some aiptasia in it. What shall I do? Will it spread to my dt if I leave it? I could probably remove it from my chaeto but I'm guessing more may show up. Should buy a peppermint shrimp and throw it in my fuge? Can I buy a dip for it?

Sorry lots of questions. I just don't want it in my dt.

I don't see it spread like that. I had aptasia all over a load of rock I bought from a tank breakdown that all went into my sump. Not a single aptiasia in the DT. I would leave it alone. Or, you can remove it manually by cutting the algae that it's connected to off.

That's what I was hoping. Just another filter feeder to clean my water that lives out of sight then. Thanks for the advice.

It is actually in my hob fuge so I can see it, it is kinda cool as long as it stays put.

Yeah, we call them pests, and other things that are brown and spread just as fast we call corals....I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yeah, that is very true. Its funny when you think about it. There are hundreds of threads of people who have dying anemones and are trying to save them and then you have just as many with people trying to kill a close relative. Thanks for the help.

I had them in my chaeto ball (4 little ones).. I placed 1 peppermint shrimp in there and it cleaned them up in 1 night. Now the problem is that I can't catch the shrimp to move to DT. He keeps hiding in the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom