Aiptasia??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know if this is Aiptasia nems?

I didn't think so because I had Aiptasia nems before....a number of them actually but that was before I added 4 peppermint Shrimp. I literally haven't seen one since, BUT......

Friend of mine was over yesterday and he swears they're Aiptasia nems. Aiptasia x has no effect on them. Are these a different type? Should I kill them all? I really hate to kill them unless they're very bad for the tank. There's about 15 and they have spread but not fast.

Your thoughts??

Attachments

• image-4192257216.jpg
    image-4192257216.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 111
To me looks like anemones not aptasia. Did they just show up over night?

Now after googling it I saw a few that resemble yours. I just have never seen them get that big before. If you can get that rock out try taking a torch to them.

The tentacles are pointed rather than round. Majano have stubby rounded tentacles while aiptasia has long pointed ones. If this was a pest nem, it would be aiptasia. But when identifying aiptasia and majano, you look for the symbolic "palm tree" shape that they have. These guys you are showing are most def not displaying the stalk part of the nem.

That being said, I have no clue what they are. Hard not to see the resemblance to my duncans though.

It is 100% not aiptasia. Sadly, I've seen many.

Thank you for all the quick replies all!

Ya i didn't think they were Aiptasia either but I don't know if i should get rid of them or not! No...they didn't get like that over night. Ive noticed them on the rock from the start but there is a few more then there initially was but they don't spread fast.

I know they sting though because I had to move my Duncan becAuse the back polyps would never extend all the way. And you could tell the tentacles were getting stung. Also there's one by a group of zoas and the zoas that surround it are closed.

Keep them or kill them?

I can't get the rock out though. It's a fairly big rock and the other rock that has them is a base rock.

I could see someone saying they're duncans but they sure don't look like my duncans. Which by the way look soooooo much happier right now being away from them. See pic

Attachments

• image-3788655858.jpg
    image-3788655858.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 95
Thank you for all the quick replies all!

Ya i didn't think they were Aiptasia either but I don't know if i should get rid of them or not! No...they didn't get like that over night. Ive noticed them on the rock from the start but there is a few more then there initially was but they don't spread fast.

I know they sting though because I had to move my Duncan becAuse the back polyps would never extend all the way. And you could tell the tentacles were getting stung. Also there's one by a group of zoas and the zoas that surround it are closed.

Keep them or kill them?

I can't get the rock out though. It's a fairly big rock and the other rock that has them is a base rock.

If this is happening then nuke them IMO. I would load up on aiptasia-x and go to town hard on them. They have to be a nem of some sort, so it should work.

Sniperhank said:
If this is happening then nuke them IMO. I would load up on aiptasia-x and go to town hard on them. They have to be a nem of some sort, so it should work.

Ya I hate to do it but I was thinking that as well.

I'm a bit concerned that the Aiptasia x won't work though. Then what do I do?

In my opinon there are only 2 ways to eliminate them. Boiling water and boiled lemon juice just didn't work for me on very small aiptasias. If aiptasia-x doesn't work...burn them. Take a lighter to them and scrub it away with a toothbrush and distilled water. I know you said the rock can't come out...but with enough effort it could. And in the larger scheme of things, those decide to take over your tank you'd wished you had. Finish them before they finish you.

Back
Top Bottom