Air bubbles from filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
The tiny air bubbles produced by my filter from the water flowing back into the tank have been gathering near the top of the water; similar to a betta's bubble nest.

Anyway to prevent this and is it bad for the tank? The water is already to the black trim, so I can't go any higher.

I wouldn't think it's a problem. I have a tiny bit of that also. Never had anything wrong.

I have a ton of bubbles all over my tank from my filter overflow and it doesnt seem to hurt anything. Not sure how you would prevent that unless you are able to turn your flow down.

What kind of filter are you using?

Regarding HOB style filters, IMO most have a overflow lip that is a bit too high for my preference. Even with the tank water level up high there is some splashing and bubbles. I found the downward flow of water disruptive to some of the more delicate plants and would push the floating plants underwater. To resolve this I created a "lip extension" from the plastic strip that is used with all glass hinged tops. It redirects the water flow along the surface, cutting down on the noise, splashing and bubbles.

Not saying bubbles are bad, I just prefer a quieter output.

Thanks for the input everyone.

What kind of filter are you using?

Regarding HOB style filters, IMO most have a overflow lip that is a bit too high for my preference. Even with the tank water level up high there is some splashing and bubbles. I found the downward flow of water disruptive to some of the more delicate plants and would push the floating plants underwater. To resolve this I created a "lip extension" from the plastic strip that is used with all glass hinged tops. It redirects the water flow along the surface, cutting down on the noise, splashing and bubbles.

Not saying bubbles are bad, I just prefer a quieter output.

I'm currently using an AquaClear 50. I do notice it is a bit higher. I was hoping there was some sort of angled lip so the water would shoot sideways rather than right over the intake.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm currently using an AquaClear 50. I do notice it is a bit higher. I was hoping there was some sort of angled lip so the water would shoot sideways rather than right over the intake.

With HOBs, out of the box you are limited in terms of directing the output. With the lip extension the idea is to direct the flow along the surface and away from the intake. It keeps the surface water moving and a portion of it hits the opposite wall, travels downward, across the bottom picking up particulate matter and back up (hopefully toward the intake) in a large circular motion. Of course, plants, rocks and other decor will obstruct the flow, but you get the general idea.

Back
Top Bottom