Air intake??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question to anyone ,my double sponge filter has a spot to hook up an air pump. Just woundering if hooking this to my canister filter will harm the filter some have said this will cause my filter to be unable to push water? But this hook up is suppose to help force oxygen into the water so just woundering will this harm my canister ?

A sponge filter doesn't work unless it's got an air pump hooked up to it. If a sponge filter is connected to a canister filter, it'll act as a prefilter if connected to the intake and a diffuser if connected to the outlet. Either way it'll put some restriction on the canister, but it's hard to gauge how much without seeing the pieces involved.

That sponge filter is made for a air line only. It will work fine with just the air pump. No need to push the limit of a small sponge filter

So hook the air pump up and stick it in ?what's the center tube for

Its a lift tube. The air line hooks in below that (or you may have to use an air stone) and the tube creates suction through the sponges as the air lifts. You can't hook it up to a canister, since canisters work off gravity and you'd risk burning up the motor with it trying to pull water through the sponges. Using an air pump works great, but you can usually hook a powerhead up to them as well. I'd just use air.

Back
Top Bottom