Air stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your Airstone Question

Hello Sean...

I tossed all the airstones in my tanks a long time ago. The little bubbles look pretty in the tank, but a good power filter will provide much more gas exchange, the process of getting oxygen into the tank and carbon dioxide out.

You don't really need the bubbles. An airstone provides a lot of bubbles, but the bubbles, even a lot of them provide very little gas exchange. The bubble has a very small surface and it rises so quickly and escapes. So, there's little or no gas exchange. The bubbles do move the water a little, so there's some benefit.

All you really need is a good power filter that has a gph (gallon per hour) rating that's roughly 6 times the volume of your tank. Don't forget to change half the water in your tank every week too.

B

You should not NEED air stones for aeration. However, if your filter EVER fails (which they all inevitably do) that little air stone can save your entire tank. Without aeration you can start losing fish in as little as a couple hours. I have seen it many times where entire tanks were saved for over a week by the air stone alone. They are a cheap and very effective backup.

Gasses cross between air and water at ANY AND ALL air-water surfaces. They do not know or care whether it is in the air over a tank or the bubbles in it, surface area is surface area. Larger bubbles have relatively less surface area but move more water, smaller bubbles create less flow but have much more surface area per volume of air. Either way aeration is greatly increased.

IMO every freshwater tank should have an air pump. Their potential to save the entire tank should be reason enough.

Back
Top Bottom