Airstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MermaidGurl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a question for you guys. I was wondering what an airstone or a "bubble wall" is. I know it creates bubbles but is it necessary to have one? Do you just need the airstone or do you need tubing to go with it too?

Air stone is not necessary do you have surface agitation lots of people like the bubble wand because they like the way it looks in their tank. And it all depends on what you like. So you need the pump air tube and air stone or bubble wand if that's what you want in your tank

So I will need an air pump, airline tubing, an airstone/wall and a check valve?

An airstone and bubble wall work by air pump blowing air through a tube, wich is connected to the airstone or bubble wall.

Some people have them just because they look pretty.

Some people use them if their tank does not have enough circulation or surface agitation, which can mean there is not enough oxygen in the water. Airstones help with that.

In most cases though, they are just decorative. You can have one if you want, but you don't have to have one.

An airstone and bubble wall work by air pump blowing air through a tube, wich is connected to the airstone or bubble wall.

Some people have them just because they look pretty.

Some people use them if their tank does not have enough circulation or surface agitation, which can mean there is not enough oxygen in the water. Airstones help with that.

In most cases though, they are just decorative. You can have one if you want, but you don't have to have one.

Thanks! Will it help though? Or is mainly just for decoration?

Thanks! Will it help though? Or is mainly just for decoration?
It depends. If you don't have sufficient surface agitation, an airstone can help as all the bubbles cause the surface to break up. You can accomplish the same thing by using a filter that directs some (or all) of the outflow to the surface (such as a powerhead). Biowheel filters create a great deal of surface agitation and, if you have one, it is likely that you are good already.

If you have enough surface agitation already, then the airstone is merely decorative. Adding an airstone doesn't hurt anything. (Unless you're injecting CO2, but that's another topic.)

Some of my fish seem to enjoy the bubbles immensely! Odessa barbs especially, it's like an elevator for them.

10 gal, Tetra whisper in tank filter, guppy, Platy , dwarf gourami and 2 cories. No live plants (although I am thinking of getting some)

My Corys love to play in the bubbles. Like Brookster's fish they like the "elevator" effect and will swim through it for hours. So cute. Also get an adjustment valve so you can keep the bubble rate from being too strong. Especially in a 10g. Enjoy! OS.

My Corys love to play in the bubbles. Like Brookster's fish they like the "elevator" effect and will swim through it for hours. So cute. Also get an adjustment valve so you can keep the bubble rate from being too strong. Especially in a 10g. Enjoy! OS.

Thanks! Thats awesome! So I think i might get all that stuff next time I go to the pet store!

I vote air wall but not more than 3-4" long. It makes for a wider "elevator' for the Corys to play in. Put in the center back so they can get a run at it from both directions. lol.

I vote air wall but not more than 3-4" long. It makes for a wider "elevator' for the Corys to play in. Put in the center back so they can get a run at it from both directions. lol.

Thanks for your opinion!

Back
Top Bottom