Algae bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolea

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone ID what I got going on in here... I have tons of hair algae taking over the tank, wondering if these are bad signs? My parameters are okay, I did have a pH spike 2 days ago to 8.8. This new stuff came through within a week...
What should I do to prevent this? Fix it? What causes this?

Attachments

• image-2688043932.jpg
    image-2688043932.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 114
  • image-865272608.jpg
    image-865272608.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 112
  • image-1418078538.jpg
    image-1418078538.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 115
Hi Nicolea

Family name (Cyanobacteria)
Common name ( Slime Algae )
The bubbles trapped under the slime are oxygen bubbles & generated by photosynthesis

I was afraid of that! Ok besides chemiclean, any other way to rid? I only have snails, shrimp, corals and one anenome. No fish. What caused this outbreak? Will it harm anything in my tank now?

nicolea said:
I was afraid of that! Ok besides chemiclean, any other way to rid? I only have snails, shrimp, corals and one anenome. No fish. What caused this outbreak? Will it harm anything in my tank now?

Nitrates and phosphates are big culprits to algae. What size is your tank? How long has it been running? What kind of water flow and lighting do you have? How long do you leave the lights on? What are your water test results? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and current pH? Do you feed your tank anything?

You can try to use your siphon and siphon out the cyano when you do a pwc.

Bearchumjs said:
Nitrates and phosphates are big culprits to algae. What size is your tank? How long has it been running? What kind of water flow and lighting do you have? How long do you leave the lights on? What are your water test results? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and current pH? Do you feed your tank anything?

You can try to use your siphon and siphon out the cyano when you do a pwc.

My nitrates are at 0. Must be the phosphates ill have to buy a test kit for that. Tank is a 50gallon. Running approx 2 months. Maybe 1.5. Water flow is a c4 fluval: switching to a sump within next two weeks. Lighting is dual t5 HO one purple one 10,0000k. About 10-12 hours they run.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
PH 7.8
Temp 80
SG 1.023-1.024

-- I had two clowns which are now in the hospital tank, I brought home a goby and it didnt last 24hrs, covered in ICH and was bleeding on the inside lip. The clowns got a white film w spots so they are in qt. Being treated w copper (cupramine).

I just tried it siphon ... Got some out, not a lot. Some i can't access. Maybe I should try chemiclean? I'd have to order it online, I've never seen it the LFS. Is it safe for invertebrates and corals? I was given a sebae anenome w the clowns... Seems to be doing okay....

Bearchumjs said:
And what kind of water do you use for top offs and mixing your salt?

I just bought a rodi system... I need a pressurized tank tho? Ever heard of that? I thought u coud just fill any container?

I used rodi from a water store in a 5g jugs
-- salt is coralife

Hi Nicolea
Slime algae or Cyanobacteria
There are a few way they recommend - reduce nutrient input -feed less Cyano loves fish poo
Increase water flow on the area that is growing -it's harder for it to grow in high current areas ,
Reduce lighting & large water changes removes the nutrient source.
If u have no light dependant animals ( photosynthetic ) remove the light source completely until the bacteria appears to have subsided

Back
Top Bottom