Algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I screwed up. I have a planted bowl(2.5 gallon) with a sword and microsword in it. I guess I have it too much light and woke up to a green bowl. Algae on the sand and glass and green water. How do I rectify this? I did a water change last night(roughly 40-50%) and scraped the glass a bit. No light starting yesterday. I should also add I have no filter in there and one(maybe 2) shrimp.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Um, is there anything else living in the bowl besides the plants and shrimp? Any fish?

Nope. No fish at all. Oh, I just remembered there is a tiny little snail that showed up with the plants, but that's it

You probably just have too much waste in there from the shrimp, snail, decaying stuff... if you have snails or inverts in the bowl, it would be better to move them into an established tank (if you care to keep them).

Crud. So you think the whole thing is a wash and I should start over?

Ehh...it was just a little project to sit on the shelf, hopefully keep a few shrimp in there. I didn't have any great plans for it

Water changes and put light on a timer. You can dip the plants if needed and replant.

Make sure no sunlight is hitting the tank.

Causes are usually
Too much light
Too much food
Poor water quality
Imbalance of Ferts

I'm quite certain it was too much light. I was leaving a cfl right on top for 12 hours. A couple days with no light and it's starting to look better already. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom