Algae Eater Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoyToTheFishes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been reading about different algae eaters for a while now, but feel too intimidated as there are a lot of wrong choices out there depending on tank size, ect.

So, I was hoping some of you seasoned aficionados could give me advice on what is right for my tank. (I sure don't want to rely on pet store recommendations)

My tank is a 20 gallon and I have 8 guppies and only artificial plants.

Any suggestions are super appreciated!

The thing with algae eaters is that they are not necessary, just fun. If all you want is less algae, then limiting your light and excess nutrients is the way to go. Many sucker fish are a lot of fun to keep though, if that is what you are into. :)
In a 20g a few species to consider are otocinclus, pitbull plecos (if you can find them), the rubberlip pleco, or the bristlenose pleco. Now, the bristlenose is quite common, but a very messy fish. the rubberlip is pretty easy to find, and decently hardy. Plus it is less messy than the bristnose nose, in my experience. Otos are great little community fish who generally seem to appreciate the company of other otos. You can get like 3-5. They can be a bit sensitive though, and do best in a well established tank.
Fish to avoid: common or sailfin plecos. They get too big. Also, the Chinese algae eater. They will often be sold by stores under generic names like "algae eater" or "sucker fish" rather than under a species name. They can get a but large and rambunctious. Fun fish, but they are semi aggressive and I don't generally suggest them to the average peaceful community.
You can look up the individual dietary habits of these fish further if there are any that interest you. Or, feel free to ask more questions on anything specific.

Get some snails. EXCELLENT algae eaters. I have four, all different types. This makes the possibility of eggs less likely. The eggs are tiny, but they bother some people. I have a tiger, batiki, red spot, and a bumblebee horned. The whole back glass of my 20 gallon was almost solid algae. I'd never cleaned it because I'd read that the fish like to graze on it. Well, no way could the fish keep up with it, so I got the snails, and now, only a month later, well over two-thirds of the algae is GONE! I couldn't believe how much algae these tiny snails ate in such a short time. The bumblebee is only about 1/4 inch long, the red spot is the biggest, being an inch, and the batiki and tiger are still young, and a little over 1/2 an inch. They will grow to no more than an inch. The bumblebee will stay this size for life. And I do see them! They don't just go and hide. Once every couple of days, if I look closely, I'll see two or more of them. I'm happy I got them.

Back
Top Bottom