Algae everywhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, so I set up the tank, put on the lights, co2 started dosing etc and now have many types of algae beginning.

46gal
96 w PC
CO2 injected with controller

Ferts are:
KNO3 - 1/2 tsp - 3x week
KH2PO4 - 1/8 tsp 3x week
K2SO4 - 1/8 tsp 3x week
CSM+b - 1/8 tsp 3x week

Types of algae seen:
GSA - green spots on the glass and some rocks
Hair algae in long stringy patches that come off easily
Fuuzz - short green fuzzy algae that is impossible to remove from the sword plant. It has a velvety texture
And now some black thick hairs in small patches that are also not easy to remove

One factor I know is a problem is my inconsistent light schedule. I am getting a timer today but it has been on for probably 13-14 hours most days because my husband would turn on the lights before I got up. So that will be remedied today, but is there always an algae adjustment period in a new tank?

Oh yeah before I forget bioload
9 neon tetra
6 kuhli loaches
3 Ottos
1 BN pleco
1 dwarf frog

and 50% PWC once a week.

The tank does not get any direct sunlight.

Any suggestions on my dosing schedule?

I just checked out the Chucks Planted Calculator and it suggests
1/4 tsp KNO3
1/16 tsp k2PO4
1 1/4 tsp K2SO4

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

GSA - green spots on the glass and some rocks
Hair algae in long stringy patches that come off easily
Fuuzz - short green fuzzy algae that is impossible to remove from the sword plant. It has a velvety texture
And now some black thick hairs in small patches that are also not easy to remove
#1 what is your current ppm reading of NO3 and PO4?
#2 what is your current ppm reading of CO2? (us KH, PH and this web page)

NO3 is reading 5 ppm
PO4 is reading 10 ppm
CO2 is reading 30 according to that web page

And it has been 4 days since my last PWC

Your dosing does not look too bad. I would get that timer and run the lights no more than ten hours a day. Since you are starting to see signs of BBA I would also recommend bumbing the CO2 a bit as well. Shoot for 35 - 40 ppm that way you know it will always be over 30ppm.

happygirl65 said:
NO3 is reading 5 ppm
PO4 is reading 10 ppm
CO2 is reading 30 according to that web page

And it has been 4 days since my last PWC
NO3 is a little low, hope confident are you your test is accurate, could to less, maybe zero?

PO4 is higher then i like to keep it, i usualy aim for 20-30 ppm NO3 and 2-3 ppm PO4

and like rich said, i would bump up the CO2 a little, and get the lights running at a regular interval

Your PO4 could be creeping up due to low (possibly 0) NO3. I would leave your KH2PO4 dosing along and just up the KNO3.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom