Algae ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tpalmer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have black hair algae all over my tank and I don't mind that but my piece of mopani driftwood has these white growths inside of a few knots in the wood. Is this anything to worry about? I didn't think it was rot because I didn't think mopani rotted. Let me know what you think.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454293644.836211.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They could be where bits of food have collected and are fungusing if that's a word.

Do you have a Mystery snail? They would likely clean any of that right up.

Ramshorn and Pond snails being more apt to breed may not be the course you would want to take but the Mystery snail population is not usually a problem.

Sometimes DW get a bit of slime growth, you can rub it off with a paper towel.

As for your BBA, what size tank, light fixture and bulb type "K" rating and how often and much are you pwc and how long do you leave the light on for?

The tank is 29 gal. I do PWC of 15% (5 gal) every week and the light is on for about 8 hours. I don't mind the black hair algae honestly it was just the white stuff I was worried about.
I have had mystery snails in this tank and they don't last very long. I had four at one point and slowly they died off. A few months ago I put an assassin snail in there to take care of the pond snails and it did awesome but somehow it had babies (I only bought one) and now I've seen about 4-5 around the tank of varying size. I was told one couldn't kill a mystery snail so I wasn't worried but maybe since there are more assassin snails they teamed up on the big guys.

They will team up and take down larger snails. Nerite snails are little algae vaccums, but you have to choose between them and assassins.

I've been picking out the assassins and putting them in my chiclid tank to just hang out in there since they can hid in the sand or just get eaten but once I get them all out I'll look into getting some nerite snails maybe. Thanks for the reply!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom