Algae in a Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I have a homemade Betta tank that is 48"Lx12H"x6"W with 2 dividers. Each section has one male Betta splendens and planted with Java ferns, new Cryptocoryne wendtii "green", some small floating water sprite and some banana plants (just for fun). lighting is a 4' fluorescent fixture with two t8 6500K bulbs. I'm getting lots of algae. I've added about 13 - 20 Maylasian trumpet snails to each section, but I'm wondering about adding another snail type. I have no filtration on the tank and plan on relying on water changes to keep it in balance. I'd rather not use an algacide if I can avoid it.

Once the tank matures, I'm thinking plants, especially the water sprite, will successfully compete for nutrients and keep the algae in check naturally. But in he meantime, does anyone have any other suggestions, perhaps fo another snail species?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
How long are your lights on? How much are you feeding?
The more you feed=more algae, the longer you keep the lights on = more algae.
I suggest cutting back on feeding, maybe do a 3 day blackout(put towels over the tank/turn off all lights so algae dies)

Feeding once/day, usually Betta pellets. I also give frozen bloodworms maybe twice/week. I feed no more than they can eat immediately.

Trying to keep the lights on to assist the new Crypts, but if I need to darken the tank, I will.

is your tank getting sunlight?

mystery snails are good at algae control....at least on glass for me.

Definitely darken the tank, I had an extreme algae issue in some of my betta's tanks and I soon found the culprit to be my bright LED lights that I keep on all my display tanks. As sad as I was to part with them, the algae was too unsightly for my liking! Adding another snail or two may also work for cutting down on algae if you're interested in investing in that. I'd also though recommend a filter for your betta. Filters are SO beneficial and do more than just keep the water clean, they also keep an established colony of beneficial bacteria which is vital to your tanks well being and ability to thrive! You can always make a filter out of a water bottle, gravel/ceramic cylinders, a sponge, and an air pump and hosing. With your next water change, when the algae is exposed, try scrubbing it with a toothbrush! That will help a bit :)

Getting a timer can really help, they say having a break of an hour or so in between light sessions screws the photoperiod up for algae but not the plants, has worked well for me

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, Drago; just not sure how to place a filter to work effectively for all three sections of the tank. I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks, Toad. The light fixture is on a timer; I hadn't heard the idea of breaking up the time though. Could you give me a time span/break/time span ?

Last edited:
Drago, I'm trying to visualizethe bottle filter, but can't. If it resembles a canister filter, I'm stuck as I've never used one. I had thought originally of a UG filter due to the odd size of the tank. I've DIYed many of those over the years.

Last edited:
Thanks Guppyguy. I have concernc with mystery snails and live plants. Never kept mystery snails for that reason. Do you know if they might graze the plants as well?

Here's a link to a tutorial done by somebody on how to make this type of filter.

I'm not sure what you mean by all three sections? Is your tank split via divider? If so, then filter will work no matter what section. :)

I believe it was have the lights on for 4hrs, then at least an hr break (although I do like a 3hr) and then on again. From what I had discussed algae takes awhile before it can start photo synthesis, while plants start much much faster, so they're still getting enough but you're starving the algae.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is interesting,but not very practical for my Betta tank as it's 48"x6". The tank is divided into three 16" spaces. I AM thinking this would be just about ideal for a breeding tank. I also might be able to use this idea as a supplement for the 65 gallon tank.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks Guppyguy. I have concernc with mystery snails and live plants. Never kept mystery snails for that reason. Do you know if they might graze the plants as well?

Hey I just tried to do some research on mystery snails to make sure i wasn't lying to you about them eating algae and that they won't eat plants but I couldn't find a consensus or any for sure definite info one way or the other.

But from my owning of them here is my personal interpretation: I owned a few in my big 55g and they were constantly on my glass at the beginning and I have never once had an algae outbreak. However this doesn't mean that they were eating algae because i Never saw them do it per say. I owned them from the beginning so I'm thinking they were eating it before it visibly had a chance to form on anything. I did have some algae on some rocks and my snails would get on it and then i noticed that there wouldn't be any algae on it.
I got them from petsmart and petco and they were labeled mystery snails.
They shouldn't eat plants but they will eat them if they are starving. I feed mine algae wafers (which they eat......so I assume they eat algae)
mystery snails will eat dead or dying plant matter which i think in a planted tank is a plus so you aren't just watching dead leaves slowly rot off their plant and then get sucked to the filter.

i probably would only get one mystery snail to see if you like it and if its doing what you want it to do.

be careful of ramshorn snails. many people have said they don't eat plants and THEY DO. or at least mine did when i got an accidental infestation from a new plant. little bite sized holes in my anubias and other plants as evidence.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom