Algae problems please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newkeeperotis

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my new tank I seem to be suffering from brown algae what can be causing this I have 2 small amazon swords I did a 50% water change yesterday as my nitrate was slightly high yesterday my light is on from 11-3 4-10 please help I don't want it to take over

Try keeping your light off a little bit longer. Change the carbon out with brand new stuff. This could help with the algae outbreak.

I don't have any carbon in my external filter it's not supposed to have any in how long should my light be on in a day

Hi!

How long has the tank been set up? How often do you do water changes? How many hours per day do you run your lights? Does your tank get any sunlight? Do you have a pic of the algae? If not try googling "diatom algae" and seeing if it looks like that.

If it is indeed a new tank then most likely it is indeed Diatoms. They are very common in new tanks and will eventually run their course but it can take time. They are caused by excess silicates and once they are used up the diatoms disappear. Only run your lights 6 hours a day until you get through this phase.

It's a new tank to me person that had it before had it set up for 3 months but I gave it a complete clean it was very unclean

It's a 125 litre tank with 2 amazon swords in it and fish wise

2 large shrimp
5 cherry barbs
9 neons
6 harlequins
1 male red dwarf gourami

I think that's all the things that were asked O and lights are on from 11-3 4-10 and yes it gets some sunlight

Cut your lighting down to 6 hours only until the diatoms go away. Ten hours is way to long to have your lights on. Also if your getting direct sunlight in the tank, not indirect light from a window, then put a piece of cardboard or something over that area of the glass again until the diatoms go away. It may not look pretty but for now you need to block it off. Later on once the tank is balanced you can remove it as contrary to popular belief direct sunlight in a tank does not automatically mean your going to have algae issues. Two of my tanks, a 20L and a 220g, get a lot of direct sun daily for 2-4 hours depending on the time of year and where the sun is in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom