Algae Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a Fluval 250L tank with 307 cannister filter. The tank has 5 otos, 20 neon tetra, 2 pearl guarmis, 2 Kulhi loaches and 12 glowlight rasbora. I have had the tank over a year.

I have been having algae and diatom issues for a long time. The issues are under control with cleaning but they keep coming back. I have brown diatoms on rocks and driftwood and green Algae all over gravel. Any suggestions on how to stop it coming back? Would a Pleco make a big difference? Both types of algae return about 3 days after cleaning. The otos make no difference and tend to stick to the rear and underside of one large piece of driftwood.

Thanks
Chris

Hello,

I have a Fluval 250L tank with 307 cannister filter. The tank has 5 otos, 20 neon tetra, 2 pearl guarmis, 2 Kulhi loaches and 12 glowlight rasbora. I have had the tank over a year.

I have been having algae and diatom issues for a long time. The issues are under control with cleaning but they keep coming back. I have brown diatoms on rocks and driftwood and green Algae all over gravel. Any suggestions on how to stop it coming back? Would a Pleco make a big difference? Both types of algae return about 3 days after cleaning. The otos make no difference and tend to stick to the rear and underside of one large piece of driftwood.

Thanks
Chris

I had bristlenose Plecos in the majority of my tanks and the glass in those tanks were squeaky clean compared to the ones that didn't have them and developed biofilm on the glass. Otos will eat some green algaes but are not diatom eaters which explains why your diatom issue doesn't get any better with them.
As for the development of the algae in the first place, green algae is the end result of too much light and too much nutrients. How much light are you using and are you adding any plant fertilizers or have high nitrates in your tank?
Brown diatoms are usually the result of silicates in your water. They may be coming from your tap water so the way to figure out where they are coming from is to use RO water for a few water changes to see if the diatoms reduce. They should reduce in size and frequency when the silicates are removed or consumed by the diatoms. Another option is to use a pad in your filter called a PolyFilter. ( https://www.poly-bio-marine.com/products.htm ) This pad will remove silicates and phosphates ( and a host of other organics, medications and metals) so that too can help reduce the food that is feeding the diatoms. HOWEVER, if you have a planted tank, I would not use the Polyfilter since it will pull the organics the plants need to survive.

Hope this helps. (y)

I had bristlenose Plecos in the majority of my tanks and the glass in those tanks were squeaky clean compared to the ones that didn't have them and developed biofilm on the glass. Otos will eat some green algaes but are not diatom eaters which explains why your diatom issue doesn't get any better with them.
As for the development of the algae in the first place, green algae is the end result of too much light and too much nutrients. How much light are you using and are you adding any plant fertilizers or have high nitrates in your tank?
Brown diatoms are usually the result of silicates in your water. They may be coming from your tap water so the way to figure out where they are coming from is to use RO water for a few water changes to see if the diatoms reduce. They should reduce in size and frequency when the silicates are removed or consumed by the diatoms. Another option is to use a pad in your filter called a PolyFilter. ( https://www.poly-bio-marine.com/products.htm ) This pad will remove silicates and phosphates ( and a host of other organics, medications and metals) so that too can help reduce the food that is feeding the diatoms. HOWEVER, if you have a planted tank, I would not use the Polyfilter since it will pull the organics the plants need to survive.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks for the reply. I have a few plants but I have struggled with so called easy ones. I am not adding any plant fertilisers at present. Nitrates are not high at all. My tap water is on the high side for hardness. I will attach a photo of my light schedule. Regarding the filter, I have been trying the phosphate pads from Fluval but they haven’t done anything.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4902.jpg
    IMG_4902.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 9
I'd switch to the PolyFilter pad. I have not tried the Fluval phosphate pads but I know the PolyFilter pads work. I started using them when they first came out and haven't found a need to try anything else. As for the plant issues, are you matching the plants to your light spectrum and light hours? The big mistake most make with plants is too much light and not enough light. Most mix low light plants with high lighting and high light plants with too low a lighting. You have to combine the proper spectrum with the proper amount of light hours. (y)

Back
Top Bottom