Algae!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
K so I got my first algae bloom starting and I don't know what to do or handle it. Plz help!!!

Tank specifics? Lights, how Iong do you run them, how often do you change the water, size of tank, water params, etc.

It's a 5 gallon fluval chi with only two fish and just a led light that stays on the whole time. The water test out at the norm 0 amm, 0, ni, etc. and I change the water about once a week or week and a half.

Part of the problem is the light being on all the time. It should not be on more than, say, 8 hours a day. A timer is useful, cheap at Walmart. Since you have no plants, turning the lights off entirely for a week or so should discourage the algae quite a bit.

Part of the problem is the light being on all the time. It should not be on more than, say, 8 hours a day. A timer is useful, cheap at Walmart. Since you have no plants, turning the lights off entirely for a week or so should discourage the algae quite a bit.
Yeah having them on 24/7 is a mistake. But to help reduce the algae I would say 6 hours max from now on. If your not looking at the tank then the lights should be off. My lights are off from 11pm-5pm :)

K thx y'all. To clean the algae should I just change water and scrub tank sides and plants

You can sure do that if you want to. After you do, a day or two later, clean the filter, as so some of the algae you loosen will get into it.. so if you rinse it out, less of it to get back into the tank later. Then without the light it needs, it won't grow back.

Have you tried putting some water in a white cup to see if it has a green tint? Do this and it will tell you if your having a true green water algae bloom or just an algae problem.

If your having a true algae bloom and the fact you have such a small tank you will need to completely black out your tank for 4 days. I mean black out the tops, sides, and even the bottom as you want no light at all to reach the tank. `That also means no peeking for this time period or you break the black out cycle and will need to start over. On day 5 uncover the tank and do a good 60-70% WC to remove all the dead algae. Then go to running lights 6 hours for a few weeks so the chance of another bloom starting is lowered. After that you can up your lighting by 30 minutes every 2 or 3 week up to 8 hours as long as you don't show any signs of algae in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom