alge advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have an age problem in my tropical tank at the moment and was after some advice on what the best way to get rid of it is.

I have it on my glass mainly the front and the side of the tank. I have scrapped it off with an alge scraper and got most of it off but it is not totally clear. I know people use a razor blade but am dubious as it is a Glass tank. I have also heard about liquids you can treat the water with but don't know the best one to get. Age has started to form over my pumps and filters but not too much as yet. Whats the most affective way to get rid of it completely?

Post a pic so we can see how bad. Not sure a razor blade is necessary as long as you can put a little elbow grease using a pad scrubber. They do make chemicals you can add that help clear it up, but I have never used any so can't recommend a brand.

A razor blade is perfectly fine to use on glass, nothing works quite as well on the horrifying green spot algae. Not a good choice on acrylic though.

We need some more information to help you though.

1 - What lights do you have?
2 - How long do you leave the lights on?
3 - Is there any natural sunlight?
4 - Is this a planted tank?
5 - What size tank is this?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419094286.969024.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419094301.539668.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419094317.318267.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419094333.944606.jpg

These are some pics. Just have the normal tank lights on for 10hrs and are on timer. I have artificial plants in the tank and its a 96ltr tank. Have only had it the past month or so but have had the tank set up for about 2 years. I have used an alge scrubber and rubbed really hard but can't get the last specs off!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So from the pics I saw 2 boesemani rainbows, 1 silver dollar(?), and a phillipene blue angel. What else is in there? And do you do regular water changes?

In my opinion 10 hours is a long time for light. Should only be on around 8 hours a day at the most. I have mine on a 4 on 4 off 4 on timer and it works great.

So from the pics I saw 2 boesemani rainbows, 1 silver dollar(?), and a phillipene blue angel. What else is in there? And do you do regular water changes?

In my opinion 10 hours is a long time for light. Should only be on around 8 hours a day at the most. I have mine on a 4 on 4 off 4 on timer and it works great.

yes i have 5 dollars and 2 sucker fish and a few shrimp. Will cut my lighting down but its always been 10hrs since tank was set up. do water changes weekly as i do with another goldfish tank I have.

I converted 96 liters to equal about 25 gallons. So with 5 silver dollars, one angel fish, 2 boesemani rainbows, and the sucker fish you are way overstocked for a 25 gallon tank. Your getting algae due to the amount of fish waste you have, and how long your lights are on.

Can't be an over stocking problem. In my 64l goldfish tank I have 7 goldies, and not had one spec of alge in it.

Pls, get rid of the goldfish ASAP... They are rotting away in that small of a tank

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I kinda like the algae look. Fish like it too. I have a nice grow of algae in my community tank, still trying to get past the brown algae in my Ciclid tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419201198.149569.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419201262.432521.jpg

Can't be an over stocking problem. In my 64l goldfish tank I have 7 goldies, and not had one spec of alge in it.

7 goldfish...... In a 64 liter? That's less than 15 gallons. It's a miracle they're not dead. Especially if you are only doing water changes ever other week. Both tanks are overstocked. I can't account for why there is no algae in the goldfish tank, but I can almost garuntee that the algae in the tropical tank has to do with lights and waste

Back
Top Bottom