Algea growing faster than plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedgy90

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys.

I have a 4ft by 18inch by 12inch planted tank.

It has ADA AQUASOIL.

The tank is 7 months old but 6 months diy C02 and 1 injected C02. And C02 indicator is nice green.

I have 2 t8 daylight bulbs on from 4-9 one goes off and the other one stays on till half 9. (However I dont have reflectors on bulbs)

I do weeky 50% wc and have an external filter that is capable of cycling double the size of my tank.

I dont use ferts at the moment but will be willing to do so.

The problem is my plants are pearling but not as much as expected.
Growth of plants appears to be slower than algae growth.
I have a recurring problem with hair algae and bluegreen algae/bacteria.

Helpppp pleasee.

what are some of your water parameters?
Like Nitrates? Phosphates? Ph? Nitrites? etc.

Also you said that you have a problem with Blue green Algae. Have you tried treating it with E.M erythromycin?

To be honest I ran out of tester kits about 6 weeks ago but havent got more yet. Will be able to test saturday when I go out.

No I havent used it. Is it easy to get hold of? Will it have side effects?

To be honest I ran out of tester kits about 6 weeks ago but havent got more yet. Will be able to test saturday when I go out.

No I havent used it. Is it easy to get hold of? Will it have side effects?

It is very easy to get ahold of, i got some from petsmart. I personally didnt see any side effects when i treated my tank.

I wouldn't use chemicals if you don't have to. You need to find the underlying cause of your algae. How long are you running your lights?

The blue/green algae can be Treated with Maracyn because it's cyanobacteria. A half dose of Maracyn is very effective.

Back
Top Bottom