Algea ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I upgraded my lighting there has been some green and brown/rusty stuff gorwing on my base rock. Is this just algea and what should I do just leave it?

How old is the tank? How long are the lights on and what kind of lights are they? How are your water parameters? Do you use RO/DI water?

Well the tank has been set up 1 month now, water parameters are fine, p.h. is stable and lighting was on for 8 hours (normal). I have only notcied it now that I have upgraded my lighting from 14 watts to 44 watts (florescent tubes).

There is no nitrite and no ammonia. However I am unsure on my Nitrate but when my lfs tested it they said it was fine. I do not of yet have a test kit for nitrate lol.

Sounds like diatom bloom. It is a normal process after tank cycles. It will burn itself out. WC's will help. You can also add a cleanup crew to aid in removal. (make sure water parameters are good)

Ok, what should I add regarding cleanup crew. I allready have a hermit crab and my lfs currently do not have any inverts in so i will have to wait. Will waiting be ok?

try liveaquaria.com they have a nice cleanup crew package

Waiting will be fine. You can also lower your lighting time to help.
hackteck: Good suggestion but he is not in the states.

My lfs are getting a load of new stock etc ... even corals (for the first time) soon, so I cant wait.

Well it is making my 'base rock' look more like live rock lol :)

We all posted at the same time. :) Steven do you have a first fish picked out? If you are not adding a fish now you should feed the tank to keep the bacteria thriving. A hermit is not enough bio-load.

So I need to add a fish now, I dont have one picked out (still researhching) and I was going to add my corals first. But I have to wait for the lfs :mad: lol.

Back
Top Bottom