Algone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyKindaFlower

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have been thinking of adding ALGONE to my two tiny Betta tanks. Does anyone have any experience with this product? The email I got back from the company that makes it says that it would keep my water much cleaner than the filter cartridge that fits in the attached tank filter.

The tanks are 2.5 gallon mini-bow kits that have really crappy filters attached. Basically just a simple intake tube that trickles water over a poly and carbon cartridge that I've been changing out every 7 days. Since there's no biological filtration to speak of, I change all but about an inch of water out every week and completely change the water/wash everything at least once a month. The two Bettas (one per tank) seem healthy (eat well, very active, and really nice color) and I never see a sign of ammonia on my test strips but by the end of each week there is a trace of nitrite (lightest color of pink on the strip) and some nitrate (in the range called 'safe' per the strip). PH seems to remain stable at about 6.8ish (per the strip color) and my water is fairly soft straight from the tap (well water). I keep a tiny heater in each tank so the temp remains at between 78 and 80 degrees and I replaced the incandescent bulbs with florescent bulbs made to fit that type of fixture. Lights are on for 12 hours. Water stays clear but lots of reddish/brown algea on everything and sometimes a film (is that protein?) on the top of the water.

I was wondering if ALGONE would keep the water a little cleaner than the poly/carbon cartridge? I can change the little pouch weekly and maybe also use a carbon embedded filter pad (Foster and Smith sells a 12"x12" piece that you can cut to fit) and/or some ceramic rings or beads just sort of floating along where the cartridge would go to provide at least a little biological filtration?

I know these tanks are more like fish bowls but they were a huge step up for these poor little guys compared to what they were in at the petstore. I eventually want to upgrade these two tanks but these were the best thing available at the time and the whole thing was an unplanned purchase because I felt sorry for the fish. They look a lot better compared to their condition a few months ago in the store and they don't seem stressed but I'm trying to keep their water quality as stable and clean as possible until I can find a better setup that won't break my budget and won't bring me back to the same problems I've already got.

I'm new to this but doing my best. Better filters on my other two tanks but I just wanted to give these two little guys a bit of an upgrade from the stupid little cups that they were in. Am I on the right track for improving what I've got until I can get better?:oops:

Well buying those "poor fish" just supports the cruelty...ya? Anyways! If you could get some kind of "custom" filter pad into the filter that would be ideal. The filter pads with the carbon inside aren't to good because they need to be replaced or the carbon will start releasing ammonia into the water. At the same time it's not good to constantly be changing out media, because then you never build up any beneficial bacteria to help keep the water clean...SO! If you could get some sort of filter pad that won't break down and just rinse it with the water from the bowls when you empty them, and then just keep using the same filter pad forever. The filter pad is where the god stuff is. Then you can do 50% water changes with filter pad rinsing! and you are all set.

You could just dump the carbon out of the filter pads and just put them back in and keep doing that until they literally fall apart just shake all of the gunk off in the old tank water when you change them out. Or like you said put in some of the ceramic rings under the pad. I never change mine and I don't worry about the carbon releasing ammo back into the water because the other part of that is that bb will grow on the carbon and will eat the excess ammo and nitrite in the water. But it will never develop unless it gets left alone long enough.

I'm not the one to add chemicals to my tanks so this is just my opinion. I would try by doing a little larger water change weekly. It's only 2.5 gallons so changing 50% weekly should take minutes.

Instead of the carbon insert I would run more polyfill. I buy mine in bulk from Joann's or Michael's craft stores. I rinse it with tank water and put it right back in. That way your bacteria colony stays intact.

Back
Top Bottom