All but 3 of my fish have died (out of 18), what's wrong/what can I do? Pics inside.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I made a thread about this problem about 2 weeks ago but I have much more information now, although I still have no idea what the problem is.
I have a small kidney-shaped pond in my backyard that's about 50-70 gallons (click here for a picture) that I raise locally-caught minnows in. All the fish are baitfish that I caught in minnow traps and the majority of them are Creek Chub, I believe. I've had the same 18 fish in there since this summer without any deaths or other problems up until mid-December when they began dying one by one for no apparent reason. Nothing was changed in or around the pond during or immediately before this time; the most recent change was adding a de-icer at the end of November. I figured the temperature might have something to do with it but it had been below freezing out on a fairly regular basis since late November and I've kept these same kinds of fish in that pond over the winter before without any deaths so I'm not really sure.

For the first week none of the fish, living or dead, had any visible injuries or anything else out of the ordinary up until I found a dead fish in the pond one morning that was covered in yellow/orange-ish lumps. I took some pictures of it so you can see what I mean:

fish04a.jpg

fish05.jpg

fish06.jpg

fish07.jpg

I found that fish just as I was leaving for Christmas vacation so I didn't have a chance to do anything other than take the photos and put it in a container in the freezer in case I needed to inspect it again later on. When I came back from Christmas break all but 3 of my fish had died. None of the dead fish were covered in yellow/orange lumps like the one above was and appeared pretty normal, as can be seen from these pictures I took:

fish03.jpg

fish02.jpg

The green stuff is algae from the pond and the black thing is a head...I'm assuming that one had been dead for a while and the rest of it was eaten. The only thing I can see out of the ordinary are the black dots on the sunken fish's belly.

Since I got back none of the 3 remaining fish have died but one of them has grown white fuzz/fungus around its tail and another appears to have at least one yellow lump similar to the lumps found on the other dead fish. Here are photos of the fish with the fuzz on its tail:

In the 2 days since I took that picture the fuzz has grown considerably. This next picture is of the same fish, taken earlier today:

So what's the issue likely to be and is there anything I can do to treat the remaining 3 fish in there? I figure due to the orange/yellow lumps on the one dead fish, the white fuzz on one of the remaining ones and the fact that 15 of my 18 fish died one by one in a period of about 2 weeks that the issue here is some type of disease. But what disease could it be, how could it have been introduced and what can I do about it now?
Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Wow, that looks like a MAJOR fungus problem to me. :( I would get some Kordon's Ich-Attack (treats more than just ich) and treat the whole pond immediatley.

Some updates...I got the Kordon's Ich-Attack yesterday evening but by the time I got back home the fish with the fungus appeared dead, on its side not moving laying against the bottom of the pond. After I put a net in the water it suddenly began swimming upwards for a few seconds and then sank back down to rest against the wall/bottom of the pond in the same sideways position. I used a double dose of the medication as the bottle recommended ("for severe infections") and came out to check on the pond this afternoon to find the fish with the fungus seemingly dead again, this time sunken to the bottom and belly up, not moving. However, upon further inspection I found that its gills were still moving and it was still breathing...hard to watch but I really have no idea what else I can do for it at this point :(

Of the other two remaining fish the one that had the yellow lump has gotten worse and now also appears to have a small amount of the same sort of white fuzz around its tail. It was also completely immobile, just floating at the surface against the side of the pond not moving at all, but not belly up. When I put a net in near the fish it swam away awkwardly and got pushed onto its side by the water from the pond pump before righting itself and swimming to the surface again. The third fish that showed no symptoms before now has a small white dot/marking near its tail and seems more sluggish, although it's the only one still actively swimming of the three. I put in another double dose treatment today and added an airstone just in case it could help but things don't look good and I sort of dread having to go out there again tomorrow morning to look...

Here's another thing that may be worth mentioning or may be total coincidence, but I live next to an outlet stream of a large freshwater lake and when I walked down to my dock today I discovered a dead fish belly-up and sunken at the bottom of the stream about 12 - 15 feet from shore. From what I could tell from the dock I'd say it was a Perch, maybe 10 inches, and didn't appear to have any wounds or visible markings. In the 7 years I've lived in this house I've never seen a dead fish in this stream before and the timing seems a bit suspicious. To take it a step further, I went to google news and searched "dead fish" to see if there were any recent reports of fish deaths in the area...there weren't any reports for dead fish in *my area* but apparently they've been mysteriously dying en masse all over the rest of the country and world recently with reports of either thousands or millions of dead fish washing up on shore in Arkansas, Florida, Maryland, South Carolina, Brazil and New Zealand all in the past week or so. Connecting those millions of dead fish to my 18 backyard pond minnows and one dead fish in the stream by my house is a rather large leap, but I still found it to be an odd coincidence.

Strange worldwide fish deaths or not I figure I might as well call the local department of fish & game on Monday to see if they can provide any insight into what may have killed the fish and what the symptoms could mean.

Not holding out much hope at this point but I'll continue with the daily treatments anyway and will post updates as they come.

I heard about the millions of fish deaths, not to mention crows and other birds. Kind of freaky!

Sorry about your fish, and I hope F & G has some answers for you.

Bad news: upon going out to check on the pond this morning I found the remaining three fish all dead; two floating on the surface and one sunken to the bottom. The healthiest of the three seemed fairly active yesterday, especially in comparison to the other two, so I was kind of surprised to find that one dead as well...I guess whatever killed them off did a pretty quick job of it overnight.

Some oddities on the fish that I noticed: two of them had what looked like blood on them except it was more of a dot or stain on their scales and I didn't see any open wound or any place it could have come from. Also odd was the fact that two of them were curved, one of them sharply so, and stayed that way when I netted them out. None of the other 15 fish died in a curved shape like that.

I guess I don't have to worry about treatments anymore but I'd still like to know what caused this, so if anyone here has any ideas on what the disease/parasite may have been I'd still be interested to know. I'm also hoping that whatever the disease or parasite was isn't able to infect humans or other species since I have plenty of other pets on the property as well. However, I'd assume the risk of that is fairly minimal since I've used gloves whenever handling anything pond-related and none of my other pets would have been able to have any contact with the pond or the fish in it. Either way I don't think I'll be using that pond again for a while...

Even though this didn't end well, thanks for the suggestions anyway. And again if anyone thinks they know what the cause of the deaths may have been I'd still be grateful to hear any additional info or ideas on the topic.

A bent spine can be a lack of nutrients. As for the yellow bumps, I have no idea. :(
Before putting more fish in there (in the future), I would disinfect the entire pond and everything in it with a 10:1 bleach solution.
Did you ever hear anything from F & G? Probably didn't today, since it's Sunday LOL.

Back
Top Bottom