Allergic reaction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shabslikesfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, does anyone know if tap water conditioner can cause hay fever like symptoms, swollen sore eyes and runny nose? I could just have a cold of course but I haven't been very careful with the stuff cos I assumed if it's ok for little delicate fishies then it's ok to get on me in such tiny doses! Any thoughts?

Im very allergic (cats, dogs, birds, grass, dirt, dust, pollen, any type of melon, asparagus, cigarettes, deodorant, fish (eating them at least), coconut, pineapple, bee's, want me to go on because I can for at least 300 more characters...lol.) Im also an asthmatic who has never smoked a day in his life

Even with my allergies and asthma, Ive never had a problem with tap water conditioner. Ive used Tetra's brand as well as the API stuff. Never an issue. You probably caught a cold and it was coincidentally the same time you used the conditioner.

Thanks for the reassurance - on daily pwc's ATM so allergy would have been a nightmare!
Poor you though, that must really suck - I only have to check things for nuts or tuna. Epipen everywhere you go? X

It's very interesting that you ask this. I kept getting the same symptoms (especially swollen eyes) a while back, and I couldn't figure out what was causing it, but it was while I was doing daily water changes as well. I was also cleaning a lot of equipment, and thought it might be related to the vinegar or bleach I was using. I hadn't thought of the water conditioner. I've been doing frequent water changes the last few days, I'll have to see if the symptoms start up again.

It's very interesting that you ask this. I kept getting the same symptoms (especially swollen eyes) a while back, and I couldn't figure out what was causing it, but it was while I was doing daily water changes as well. I was also cleaning a lot of equipment, and thought it might be related to the vinegar or bleach I was using. I hadn't thought of the water conditioner. I've been doing frequent water changes the last few days, I'll have to see if the symptoms start up again.

Now that I think of it, I do get a reaction when I clean out my filter media. I have a Penguin 200B and I make my own media out of bulk filter media and charcoal. When I take off the old media, I get a little nauseous and my eyes itch. So I make my roommate do it now and I leave the room :D

I sympathize with you all. I get incredibly bad hey-fever and am allergic to some hair dyes and perming solutions. It would be a nightmare to be allergic to any part of my tanks. However I do get really itchy on my arms when I've had them in a tank and didn't wash them ASAP.

I sympathize with you all. I get incredibly bad hey-fever and am allergic to some hair dyes and perming solutions. It would be a nightmare to be allergic to any part of my tanks. However I do get really itchy on my arms when I've had them in a tank and didn't wash them ASAP.

I get itchy after working in my tank for awhile. I thought it was just a placebo since I'm allergic to everything else on the planet. Glad to know others have this issue.

Back
Top Bottom