Almond leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are also used for Betta and Shrimp tanks. It wouldn't surprise me if people used them in Discus tanks.

Pic is a large IAL I had just put into my 10g Shrimp Jungle.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419162484.913857.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I boil them to release the tannins then add the leafs to fry tanks or tanks with spawning fish. Infusoria will then start to cultivate on the leafs and are a great food source for new fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use them in my apisto panduro tank. I can not speak to their ability to soften/lower ph. They do give the water a nice stain. The fish apparently appreciate the conditions as they've just spawned. As Mog stated, the decaying leaves will harbor colonies of microorganism and bugs that will sustain hungry fry between feedings, it also gives the clean sand bed a very natural look. I only use them in this tank though. I have apisto spawning in another tank with much brighter light and co2.. dont know how much can be said there.. but that's where I'm at anyways.. i honestly wouldn't use them with discus unless you were trying to go 100% biotope. You'll lose sight of some of the more subdued splendor in their coloration. It's a give and take, I'm sacrificing my wants of seeing my fish in all their natural beauty to give them what is said to be the most comfortable habitat to live out existence in a glass box in my dining room..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless you are planning to litter the bottom of the tank with leaves in large number, then they are more aesthetic than anything. Leaves in small numbers don't do near the job of driftwood or peat filtration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom