Already setup & not running dor a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have already setup a guppy tank in process of fish-less cycle, but I went out of country for the first time for a month. When I left I unplugged everything.

My question is that I have eheim 113 canister filter can I wash and reuse the medias?

Or what's the process of setting it up again since all the BB are dead by now in my canister and tank.

Can I use hot water to wash everything ?

I have already setup a guppy tank in process of fish-less cycle, but I went out of country for the first time for a month. When I left I unplugged everything.

My question is that I have eheim 113 canister filter can I wash and reuse the medias?

Or what's the process of setting it up again since all the BB are dead by now in my canister and tank.

Can I use hot water to wash everything ?

The only thing you need to do is to plug it in and add some ammonia :)

If you really want you can wash stuff but it's not necessary.

The pet store tells me to replace the biological media and start a new cycle

If it sat that long IMO you really need to clean the filter out, rinse off the bio-media well, and start from scratch. I've let filters sit with water for a week or two and they are nasty and have old toxic water in them.

The pet store tells me to replace the biological media and start a new cycle

Of course they do, they want to sell you stuff you don't need :)

But they are right about starting a new cycle.

If it sat that long IMO you really need to clean the filter out, rinse off the bio-media well, and start from scratch. I've let filters sit with water for a week or two and they are nasty and have old toxic water in them.

There shouldn't really be any mulm in the filter due to a half started fishless cycle and all it should contain is some dead bacteria. Nothing in there is going to be "toxic" when continuing a fishless cycle. That being said, it wont hurt anything to clean it out.

Ok kool I'll jus clean out the 16 gal tank with the 2213 canister filter, and start the cycle again

Back
Top Bottom