Alternate for UGF.....??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nol Starks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello my fellow fish friends,
I'm new to the forum, I signed up because I need some help setting up my 55 gal tank. The problem I'm running into is deciding what type of filter is best. I've done some research over the past coupe days and have come to find that canisters seam to be the way to go. I will be purchasing one very soon ( recommendations for the canister would be helpful too!! inexpensive is fitting). The reason for the confusion is that a friend o mine told me to buy an UGF, to '' pull/keep everything down.'' Well I planning on using sand in my tank, with a UGF I can't...and my fish require it. So my question is do I need a UGF?? Is there a different type of filter out there that will work with sand and give the filtration I need?? Is this what a powerhead is for? Thanks and I'm glad to be a part of the forum, hope to hear something soon. Thanks again.

A lot of people here say that ug filters are a pita. I do not use one. I just do a gravel vac every week while doing a pwc.

I have never and will never advise someone to get a UGF. Never had one myself, but everything I've heard indicates they're more trouble than they're worth.

You don't have to have a canister and will spend more money to get that than a HOB (hang on back) filter.

What is your proposed stock? That would help us make suggestions on the proper filter for you.

Where are my manners today..... welcome to the forum! :D

Yea everything I've heard with UFG is all bad... its a 55 gal tank I'm planning on a community tank, loaches, Cory's, Pleco, angel fish, peaceful freshwater fish. Maybe 15 fish when its all said and done. I have a HOB already, I just wanna be prepared before i stock it. I've been reading about canisters and power heads? In short what is the best filter for a 55 gal tank with 25 fish?? Is there anybody out there with a similar set up that's worked for them? Thanks for the welcome And quick response.

To my knowledge power heads are used on ug filters and in saltwater tanks mostly to promote circulation of the water.
Canisters seem to be the best.
I use a hob filter and a sponge filter. I would like to switch the hob out to a canister but the funds aren't there.
When buying a filter keep in mind gallons per hour. You want as many as possible without turning your tank into a small lake during a storm. If you get a filter that is rated at say 165 gallons per hour. That translates to the filter will filter all the water in the tank about 3 time in 1 hour.

Awesome. Thanks for your help guys! I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Do you know what type of fish you want to have? In all of my tanks I use a HOB, sponge, or internal filter. My favorite filters are the cheapest HOB filters ever made. You can buy them at Walmart for half of the price of any other HOB of the same size. The gallons per hour is the same and they can use any type of media you want (as long as you get the proper size). I also like that it has bio-fiber so that bb (beneficial bacteria) can grow and you can replace the media without worrying that the bb will all die out. I have never used a canister...they take up extra room, cost more money, take more maintenance, and IMO are just plainly more work for results that aren't much better to a HOB. Hope this helped!
By the way what kind of fish are you looking into? I always love hearing what people are going to stock in their new tanks! You should also post some pics once you get everything up and running!

I had a UGF I my 50 and I hated it. It's impossible to clean without ripping it all out pretty much. Plus you'll have the tubes sticking up ad it's not attractive.
I had a top fin 60 on it before I rescaped and did gravel to cover the bottom and did sand. The thing about HOB filters and sand is, make sure you let the sand settle before you start filtering or it'll get in the filter and cause problems. Sand killed one of my hangs. I bought a fluval 405 to hold me over and it's great. Sand doesn't mess with canisters. As for less expensive brands, I'm not sure. I own 2 fluval 405's and love them. I just bought a aquaclear 70 to try out since I've never owned one. So I can move the can over to my 150.

I had semi agg fish in my 50 before I redid it completely. Pleco, barbs, bala sharks, bichir, angels, and a gourami. Now it's labs and I relocated the fish to another tank.

I'd recommend laying gravel down first and then doing sand. It looks really nice if some gravel gets exposed. I have pictures of my 50 in my album I think.

Awesome. This is great info from some great sounding people. Ill upload some pics of my 15 GAL and keep you guys posted on the 55GAL. Has anyone house 2 gouramis of different species?? Like a blue gourami and a gold? Is it gonna be a UFC fight in my tank??

Nol Starks said:
Awesome. This is great info from some great sounding people. Ill upload some pics of my 15 GAL and keep you guys posted on the 55GAL. Has anyone house 2 gouramis of different species?? Like a blue gourami and a gold? Is it gonna be a UFC fight in my tank??

I had one opaline in my 55 before I moved it. I have 3 dwarf gouramis in my 150. I think having more than one gourami in a tank makes them aggressive. I think, I'd double check

ya i have a blue and one thats blueish with red lines and they do fine together but have only been together about a month.... i am running a 10 and 55 gallon right now and have 2 hob (pengiun 150 & 350) and a fluval 205 canister they keep my water perfect looking even with a decent bio load on my 55

I have two 55 gallon tanks and have blue, gold and opaline gouramis in them and sure they chase each other once in awhile, but no battles. By the way, what kind of pleco do you have? If its a common pleco it will outgrow your tank.

It is an atabapo pleco and only get 6 in long. I just bought a red Panama bristel nose today. Very cool looking.

Back
Top Bottom