Aluminum Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becrac16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey there,

I was researching around on the internet to try and find the name of this plant I have in my tank. I found that it is called Aluminum plant and apparently it does not do well in aquariums. Figures, as I bought it at petco.

But here's the thing. The plant is doing AMAZING in my tank. It went from 3 clippings to now growing new stems and leaves all over the place. One leaf died on one of the clippings, but that has been it. So do I keep it in there, or take it out?

(I don't know what my water parameters are, so I'm not sure if anything is off as far as that goes)

If it's not an aquatic plant, then it will initially grow very quickly. That's because it's doing everything it can to grow out of the water to live. But after X days of miraculous growth it will probably die. A handy website to check is www.plantgeek.com
They have all sorts of easily accessible info on aquatic and non-aquatic plants.

dang it. That really bums me out. I can't tell you how much money I have spent on plants they have sold me that are not aquatic. Ugh! If it were any other company, it would be fraud!

When it comes to buying aquarium plants, either try to find a mom & pop fish store near you, or else your best bet might be to order them online. There are a number of places online that have nice plants, you'll get exactly what you want, and shipping on plants can be done quite cheaply.

There are gobs of places that sell plants, here are just a few that either I have ordered from myself or have had other people recommend to me.
Sweet Aquatics
Aqua Botanic Store
Aquatic Plant Depot

Far from a complete list, and no doubt others on this forum have their own list of "favorite" places online. But it's at least enough to get you started.

Sadly, the big chain petstores are notorious for selling plants that are not truly aquatic plants, as well as misleading (or being clueless) about light demands for the plants they DO sell. Bad news.

the only time i buy plants from an actual chain pet store is if i know what the plant actually is. other than that i always buy from ma and pop fish stores. i trust them more for some reason...

I second Aqua Botanic. For my order they have sent large quantities of healthy plants. It took no time for them to adjust and start growing new leaves. I have even gotten a bonus plant in my order. Like your self I used to spent tones of money buying local. Not anymore :D

Thats great. I will for sure look on there for some varieties of plants. The thing about my mom and pop shop is that they're plants are really expensive and most if not all are low-light. The only low light plant in there is upwards of 15 bucks. I have had success with some plants from petco that I have researched before. But I will definitely check out these sites!

Back
Top Bottom