Am I overtocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
36 gallon bowfront

- mated pair of clowns

- 3 chromis

- yewllow tail blue damsel

- fireshrimp goby

- bebgjai cardinal

8 fish total, also have some hermit crabs, 2 peppermint shrimps

not planning to anymore fish

planning to add some corals

Most SW fish are highly territorial and as such they would either kill or stress more timid fish. You can get around this by chosing your fish wisely and having lots of hiding places for the more timid fish.

Most SW fish are highly territorial and as such they would either kill or stress more timid fish. You can get around this by chosing your fish wisely and having lots of hiding places for the more timid fish.

How may fish an aquarium can support has little to do with how well they get along or how many hiding places they have.

Well, with todays filter systems, the old inchers per gallon is so out dated. Chosing your fish wisely is a must.

There are too many factors to take into consideration for a "fish calculator" to be correct. That useless thing is more for freshwater. Thincat is right territory and hiding places play a HUGE part in the number of fish a tank can support! The more crowded the tank the more stressed the fish stay and the more stressed your fish are the more susceptible they are to disease and parasites! Even if technically your water conditions are within range you can still overpopulate your tank. Imagine a 20 gallon tank with a 100 gallon sump. How many fish do you think you can fit in that 20 gallon tank before there's an issue not related to water quality?

I agree. You can not go by an inches rule or a how many fish rule in SW. There are factors like size, messy eater, aggressiveness and many other factors to consider. While calculators might work in the FW world they have no effect in the SW world.

36 gallon bowfront

- mated pair of clowns

- 3 chromis

- yewllow tail blue damsel

- fireshrimp goby

- bebgjai cardinal

8 fish total, also have some hermit crabs, 2 peppermint shrimps

not planning to anymore fish

planning to add some corals

You are fine if the fish are getting along. I would not add anymore, but your are not too over stocked. Should not be a problem IMO. Just add corals from now on, you can also get some smaller fish that will not affect the bio load.

I have to sort of disagree with people... It depends on how experienced you are and your setup... I have two salwater tanks one is only 40 gallons and i have an adult powder blue tang an adult flagfin angel, a mated pair of clownfish and a flame angel and i have had them all for about 5-6 yrs since they were bought as small juveniles..... BUT i have a good setup... Fluval canister, a hang on refugium in the back growing marine plants, and A Double CpR backpack with protein skimmers... I actually cant believe they do so well..... But they have for years

Exactly as you said though you had them since they were small so they were given a chance to grow into their comfort zones and territories and get familiar with each other and what not. There are always situations and circumstances were things work out especially when you're experienced and do things properly. But we all know that can only go so far and even when you do everything right things don't always work out how you plan in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom