Am I underfeeding my Silver Dollars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a large tank with two Silver Dollars in it (and a multitude of other fish). I feed my fish with flakes in the morning and in the evening.

I also (usually every other day) drop in a load of pea-halves. The Silver Dollars go mental when I put these in and eat them in a way I can only describe as "desperate hoovering". They easily eat maybe 5 pea-halves each and much more if I drop them in. I have 5 live plants in my tank, one of which was completely stripped 24 hours after putting it in (3 weeks ago) but the others have remained fine.

The SD's themselves are relatively young, when I got them at the store in December last year they were maybe one inch long, they're now about three - by god they grow quick!

Am I underfeeding them or is this farantic feeding common to see

EDIT: They are not showing any notable signs of stress, disease, discomfort or anything which would otherwise suggest that they are being underfed. It is just the speed at which they fly across the tank to get peas - maybe they just really like peas?

Back
Top Bottom