Amazon Sword Plant and Cabomba Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vjb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I am facing some problems with my Amazon Sword plant and dont really know how to solve them.

I have a 30g, with fine gravel substrate. Currently I have Amazon Sword plants, Anacharis, Anubaias nana, Dwarf Hairgrass and Cabombas in my tank. For lighting I have 4 CFL bulbs (each is 18W = 100W of regular bulbs), 6500K. The lights are on for 11 hours a day. I use root tabs in the substrate and additionally Flourish (twice a week) and Flourish excel every alternate day.

I am facing the following problems -

1. Amazon Sword plants - over the 10-15 days, I have had a lot of the Amazon Sword plant leaves wilting away. They turn yellowish-brown at first and then completely transparent. Finally they wilt, if I dont remove them before hand. I have also noticed some holes on them. Just a couple of days back while doing my weekly maintenance, I had to cut out a large number of leaves. I know that when new Amazon Sword plants do have leaves dying off, but these plants are now over 3 months in

2. Cabomba - These were my first plants, purchased over 4 months back and I am still struggling to grow these. Initially I lost a lost of stems due to uprooting and tearing away by my fish, but over the last one month, they have been stable after I moved them to a quieter corner of the tank. However no growth. I know Cabombas like good light so they are kept right below the CFL bulbs.

Can anyone please advice on why my Amazon Sword plant leaves are wilting or if there is a nutrition issue, what can be done? I love these plants and would love to see them grow, but unfortunately its the reverse happeninf. Also, how can I get some growth on my Cabomba?

As far as the sword, when was the last time you put in root tabs. They aren't just a one shot deal.
As for the cabomba, everyone I've talked to (I tried it once and it was a no go) has told me you need absurd amounts of light, pressurized Co2 and a very strict dosing schedule to get cabomba to flourish.

As far as the sword, when was the last time you put in root tabs. They aren't just a one shot deal.
As for the cabomba, everyone I've talked to (I tried it once and it was a no go) has told me you need absurd amounts of light, pressurized Co2 and a very strict dosing schedule to get cabomba to flourish.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've always found Cabomba to be a nice looking plant, but impossible to grow in any medium or low light situation.

adadkins1 said:
Couldn't agree with you more. I've always found Cabomba to be a nice looking plant, but impossible to grow in any medium or low light situation.

Cabomba is a light hungry stem plant but the key to good growth is micro and macro nutrient dosing to see it's true beauty. I myself grow purple cabomba and I love it!

Any algae issues?

I use JBL 7 ball root tabs that last for over a year. I have put them in about 3 months back.

Back
Top Bottom